PDA

View Full Version : A recommendation

mjdtexan
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi, I have not grown any plants with a grow light or hydroponics. It seems like from what I've read that the light is the most expensive item and that should be bought first. I would like to grow two tomato plants to start with. I am seeking recomendations on which type of light and the wattage I should get. If yall dont mind it would be nice to get a recommendation from people who are not in the light selling business. It looks like yall argue with each other here. I am seeking growers.

Mjd :)

I guess I should add that I will be growing in an area with no sunlight.

Unregistered
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
you can grow with just about any light designed to grow plants. the kind of light/bulb/ballast/wattage/voltage all depends on what you want to grow and where.

be more specific in what you are trying to do

mjdtexan
05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
you can grow with just about any light designed to grow plants. the kind of light/bulb/ballast/wattage/voltage all depends on what you want to grow and where.

be more specific in what you are trying to do

Fair enough. I have four garden beds outside that I grow tomatos, potatoes, green beans, okra, assorted peppers, etc etc. I am just a curious gardener and I have a four bedroom house next door that we are making the payments on but am not living in that I could use one of the rooms to experiment with hydroponic vegetables and grow lights to see if I really could improve yield and quality, specificly with tomatos. After doing some research I have a better idea of how things work but yall probably could steer me in a better direction.

I want to find (build maybe?) a four pot hydroponic system for four tomato plants. I am hoping the 250w grow light will work for just four plants. I have not seen lower wattage ones in either Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium.

In yalls opinion, for tomatos, is Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium better?

Aeroman
06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
You need metal halide for veging. 250w is not enough plants will grow tall and spindily and bear little fruit. For 4 plants you should be using a 400w MH bulb. Use Veging hydro solution for the veg stage, then when plants are ready to flower change to a flowering formula and also change the MH lamp to a HPS lamp. The MH lamp gives ~6500K color spectrum and the HPS gives ~2700K color spectrum. The MH blue spectrum is good for veg, the HPS red spectrum is needed for flowering. Remember to adjust your on / off times to simulate the season to force flowering once plants are ready.

willard3
06-27-2009, 08:16 AM
30-50 watts/square ft will bring plants to fruiit. A mature tomato will occupy 3-8 square depending upon the tomato