PDA

View Full Version : Best system for a beginner?

kfigueroa
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I've never tried hydroponics, but I've been fascinated since I was a kid. I've been doing some regular gardening the last few years and have decided I want to try this out. I'd like to build my own set up and keep it on my patio outside. I live in SoCal, so the weather should be good for it.

I've been doing some research, but I'm not sure which technique is best for a beginner, takes up the least amount of space, and is the most idiot proof. :) I'm leaning towards either the nutrient film technique or an ebb and flow system.

Has anyone tried both and can compare the two? Or has anyone had a particularly good or bad experience with either?

Thanks!
Kat

Alabama-Boy
05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I started with the ebb and flow system that i built it is working great for me.:)

NightSquid
05-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi Kat,
I think both of the systems that you are considering are very good but they both have some related costs to run them well, like a ph meter or ph strips, air pumps, air stones, water pumps, plus an ec meter, all these items plus nutrients add up quickly when it comes to cost.

Have you looked into Non-Circulating Hydroponic Systems, they truly are a low cost beginner system, and can be made out of a Styrofoam ice chest with net pots or Fiber Coir pots, nutrients and perlite for medium. Have fun and good luck : )

HydroACR
05-30-2009, 07:53 PM
take a look at the aeroflow systems, not much to screw up with those... :)