PDA

View Full Version : Can I clone here??

Droc84
05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
:confused: I have 3 cucumber plants and thay are sprouting up theses little tops out of the nodes, can i clone them in a month or so? I have sharp sheers, vita-grow, grow plugs, and heated pad w/large dome. I think thats all i need. Just not sure where to snip snip snip.... ;)

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/39/l_20b8913be1b42be9716eab3192f45ac0.jpg

David G.
06-16-2009, 11:06 PM
You can definitely take cuttings from those shoots, but I bet they are way too big by now!

It's hard to really tell what's going on in the photo, but what you have circled looks almost the right size for cutting, probably only a few days to a week from when I would cut.

The cut is normally taken just below (about 1/4") a node; i.e. below where a leaf or branch comes out of the cutting's stalk, or where the stalk attaches to the parent branch. You would then cut the lower leaves or branches to expose the nodes, which will end up in the center of the media you put the cuttings into. These nodes are where the first roots are likely to emerge from.

If that sounded too confusing, post another image and I'll try to indicate where to make the cut and what to trim off.