PDA

View Full Version : Pet related question for a newbie

HydroJoe
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi there everyone, first post to the forums, hopefully you guys can give me a hand with something I'm concerned about.

I'm really interested in getting started in hydroponics, but I live in a third floor 2 bedroom apartment, so space is an issue. I'm allready accounted for this, I'm thinking of getting one of those $75 large pot kits to get me started.

Anyway, my real issue is that I have two pets. I have a cat that sleeps most of the day. However, she likes to eat plants; she frequently eats the flowers I occasionally get for my wife within a couple days, so I'm worried about having a plant that she will leave alone long enough to bear fruit. lol

I also have a chocolate lab puppy. He's about 7 months old and weighs about 60 pounds. He's not generally terrible about chewing on things, but I'm worried he might either knock the pot over and spill the water everywhere or somehow get up high enough to drink out of the pot/eat the plants.

I'm just curious what you guys think I should do to address this issue. My local hydroponic supplier seems to think its not a major problem, but he could obviously be considered to have somewhat of a bias. What do you guys think?

HydroJoe

Unregistered
06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
i would think about setting it little higher off the ground mabey even attaching it to the wall - if they cant get to it - its not a problem right?

Aeroman
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Lemon Juice will keep the animals away... makes the plants taste bad , once the cat smells it, it will not go near.