PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Growing Edible Plant (Hydroponics)?

jamie
07-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi there all!

I have a bit of an odd request/question.

I need a very quick growing, edible and possibly nutrient rich plant that grows well in hydroponic systems. I was wondering if someone on this list might have an inkling as to which plant or groups of plants would be worth further research. My research thus far seems to suggest that radishes are the fastest growing common garden vegetable, and kudzu seems to be a very fast growing edible green. Cattail (Typha latifolia) has also come up as an option.

I had assumed something in the soy-bean family, or some kind of wheat grass, potentially?

As a somewhat extreme example - is there a plant out there that, under the right circumstances, would grow enough plant material, daily, to support a person's daily nutritional needs for a day?

Any help at all you could lend would be much appreciated - thanks so much for humoring this odd question!

Cheers,
Jamie

David G.
07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Based on my own personal experience, my recommendations would have been radishes, bush beans and/or wheat grass, but it looks like you already had these covered. I can't think of any other edibles that would grow much faster than these, especially the wheat grass and the radishes.

While you might find an edible that would satisfy the daily minimum requirements of certain vitamins/minerals, I can't think of any single plant that would produce enough to feed an individual every day. And if it did, man would that get monotonous - and fast!