View Full Version : Very general question

07-30-2009, 08:13 AM
I know this is very broad but I have a T5 54 watts fluorescent bulb that is about 3 feet long and its very thin, like an inch thick. So I'm wondering what I can do with this light. My friend gave it to me and the lighting ballast or whatever its called came with two lights. My friend said one is more blue wavelengths and the other is more red, although I don't know if that is necessarily true. Any ideas?

John M.
07-30-2009, 04:47 PM
If the bulb you were given is a 54 watt T-5 it is likely 4' long and should fit this description.


If you have two of these bulbs in a fixture you could use that for a small propagation area, or even a germination application. Depending on the plant's lighting needs you may even be able to develop them a little past early growth, so long as they do not begin to stretch toward the lights from underlighting.

Thank your friend next time you see him, as this fixture cost him around...