PDA

View Full Version : whats the best?

Unregistered
09-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Here's the deal: I have been using PL 1000 watt HPS with Hortilux bulbs for veg and bloom with excellent results.

Reflectors: I would now like to experience MH for the veg phase, the performance of the PL 1000 watt reflector using HPS bulbs is outstanding.
Does it perform as well using 1000 watt MH bulbs, if not is there another 1000 watt reflector that performs better?

Bulb selection: I am sure with all the different bulb configurations certain bulbs perform better in different reflectors.

Lumens vs. Spectrum: Do the blue spectrum bulbs, like the Solarmax 7200K, 80,000 lumens or Sunmaster 6500K, 80,000 lumens perform better than a
MS1000HOR or a MH1000U 110,000 lumens?

In conclusion: I am interested in the best performing system, bulb and reflector, any expert oppinions would be greatly appreciated.

TheHOG
09-25-2006, 09:09 AM
for all figures I am using 4sqft

In my experience for optimal growth you want 1000w for every 4sqft. In veg use a 1k MH with a decent bulb. (a few lumens wont make much difference, I get a compromise between price and lumens like the supermax)

For flowering you should use a 600w MH and a 600w HPS. This will encourage growth (MH) but the reds from the HPS will keep stretching to a minimum and make fatter flowers.

If you are serious about performance get a C02 tank and regulator.

Also, using 2 spaces seperating your veg and flower chambers is a must for efficiency.

dhill
09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
One of the best bulbs that you can use with a PL is the MH Solarmax bulb (http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic=HLRBMH10SM&eq=&Tp=), especially if you are using an air cooled shroud. The conventional BT37 bulbs (the fat round ones) gets to close to the glass lens which then transfers extra heat to the grow room and restricts air movement around the bulb.

The more blue light (MH) will also help keep your plants more compact (shorter internode spacing). Better yields.