PDA

View Full Version : 250w super hps bulb penetration depth & fan control

bobby
09-10-2006, 03:47 PM
building a circular screen, think tomato cage or lamp shade... using this bulb & cool tube... need to know how far the bulb's light will penetrate the dense foilage to determine the diameter of the screen.

also, I have a vortex 4" fan paired w/your guys bh hydro scrubber. planning to put the fan & scrubber in the box & pull air from the scrubber up & out the cool tube, & drill some holes in the duct to recirculate some of the scrubbed air in the box... but the fan is just so darn loud... you guys have several different fan controls for sale @a variety of costs. any advise is appreciated.

dhill
09-16-2006, 04:21 PM
You will need a solid state speed control for your fan. You can use the IGS Speed Control (http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic=AFAISC&eq=&Tp=) to slow the fan down which will also quieten the fan down.

Unregistered
09-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks! how far does the 250 super hps bulb effectively penetrate in inches? That is, how many inches away from the bulb will the bulb be able to provide dense growth?

David G.
09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
It's hard to say; it really depends on how sensitive your plants are to low light. 250W systems are usually only capable of growing plants up to 2' max when hung horizontally due to their lack of penetration. Are you hanging the light horizontally or vertically?

P.S. We are about to start distributing Vortex fans. I have a feeling Vortex fans can use the same speed control as the Fantech fans, which is much cheaper than the IGS-70. The IGS-70 is a much nicer speed control than the Fantech and it doesn't require any wiring, but if you're on a budget let me know and I'll find out if the Fantech speed control is compatible with Vortex fans.

bobby
10-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Definitely on a ***get. Please let me know if it is compatible.

bobby
10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh, regarding the 250w light bulb: I am hanging the bulb vertically and placing the plants in a circle around the bulb. I will then put up a circle of chicken wire mesh, (think tomato cage with a light hung vertically in the middle) and weave it in and out. I need to figure the diameter of the chicken wire cage though.

David G.
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
It turns out that the Fantech speed control IS compatible with Vortex fans.

The diameter of the mesh is going to depend on your particular strain; I would try 2' (bulb would be approx. 1' away from plants) and watch the plants to see if any leaves are burning.