PDA

View Full Version : Easiest to grow?

desert greens
08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Just wanted to say hi and ask if the tomato and or the Radish was the easiest things to grow in a hydro system that was eatable?

Here is some background that might be helpful also.

I am wanting to do this with my class of 7th graders. They are both special needs and regular education students. I tried this with one class last year we built a lettuce raft hydro system on a very small budget mostly stuff I could find laying around or people donated. We successfully grew a radish and some mint leafs and that was it. We attempted a strawberry plant that quickly died.
We turned to this site many times for help with our project and I wanted to say thanks.

David G.
08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Radishes are certainly the fastest growing plants; they can be reay for harvest from seed to harvest in less than a month. But because they are a root crop you are limited to hydro systems that utilize a growing medium, i.e. you wouldn't want to use an NFT system, etc.

Tomatoes do well in a hydro system, but they are a long term crop and require a lot of light, so if you're looking for something that you can start and finish before the class ends it might not work, and if you don't have enough light (either direct sunlight or artificial light) you may need to consider a different crop.

Let me know about the timeframe you have to work with, the space you have to devote to this, and the lighting you have and I'll see if I can make some recommendations.

desert greens
09-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Radishes are certainly the fastest growing plants; they can be reay for harvest from seed to harvest in less than a month. But because they are a root crop you are limited to hydro systems that utilize a growing medium, i.e. you wouldn't want to use an NFT system, etc.

Tomatoes do well in a hydro system, but they are a long term crop and require a lot of light, so if you're looking for something that you can start and finish before the class ends it might not work, and if you don't have enough light (either direct sunlight or artificial light) you may need to consider a different crop.

Let me know about the timeframe you have to work with, the space you have to devote to this, and the lighting you have and I'll see if I can make some recommendations.
Thanks for the great info. I would like to start in Jan this year with the project so that will give us about 4 months of growing time. our space is about 4 feet by 20 feet. We have a sky light the runs the distance of the growing space but this is it there are no other windows and we have two 48inch ballasts that will hold 2 florescent lights each. So due to our lack of lighting it sounds like the tomatoes are out.

David G.
09-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah, with that type of lighting you will be limited to raising seedlings/starts or low light crops such as lettuce, but high light, long term crops such as tomatoes, squash, peppers, etc. are definitely out unless you invest in a higher output lighting system.