PDA

View Full Version : Help with Nutrients and Additives/Enhancers and PPM

Ebb&Flower
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello every one,

Need help with adding nutes and additives/enhancers to rez and getting desired PPM.

These are Nutes and Additives/Enhancers i'm gonna be using.

Ionic Nutrients Grow/Bloom and Boost. Hard Water formula.

Additives/Enhancers= Cannazym, Rhizotonic, and Silica Blast. Will add Humic and Fulvic acid next round.

Do I add nutes untill I reach PPMs im after and then add additives/Enhancers?

I've been told if I use 1/3 strength nutes that I wanna also use 1/3 strength Additives/Enhancers?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Ebb&Flower
09-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Meaning If i'm aiming for 400 PPM. Is my nutes the full 400 PPMs and then add additive/enhancer? Meaning actual PPMs would be higher then 400. 400PMM nutes + additive/enhancer.

Or add 200 PPM of Nutes and then mix additives/enhancer to try and get it to 400 PPMs?

Do I need to add = % of nute/additive. Meaning if i'm feeding my plants 1/3 strength nutes that I should be also giving my plants 1/3 strength additives? Just what I have heard on another forum and want to clear this up before starting this grow.

Ebb&Flower
09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
^^???

If I want 400 PPM(example) Do I want 400 PPMs of just nutes? Then add additive? Which would give me a higher PPM then 400.

Or Would I want to give plants less then 400 PPM of nutes and try and get 400 PPM by adding additives?

Any help is much appreciated. If you have any other info feel free to help this hydro newb out.

David G.
09-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Generally speaking, you want to add your NPK as well as all of the enhancers before taking your PPM reading. The plants feed through osmosis. The closer the osmotic pressure value in the root system to the value in the nutrient solution, the better they will perform. So, if you were told that a good starting value for your plants was 1200 ppm, you would first add the NPK (nutrients), then add the enhancers, then take your reading. If you overshot the mark (>1200 ppm) then add some plain water (preferrably RO water). If you were under the mark, then you would want to add more of everything (NPK & enhancers).

Ebb&Flower
09-20-2006, 05:03 PM
early veg 500-600 ppm 5.3-5.5 pH
middle veg 600-800 ppm 5.3-5.5 pH
late veg 800-lOOO ppm 5.5-5.7 pH
early flower 1000-1300 ppm 5.5-5.7 pH
middle flower 1400-1600 ppm 5.5-5.8 pH
late flower 1000-11OO ppm 5.5-5.7 pH
ripening 300-500 ppm 5.3-5.5 pH

How does that look^^? Clones will be used.

If using Nutes at 1/4 strength. Do I add additives at full strength or should I add additives at 1/4 strength also.

Now I will be using tap water. Been a while since I've checked it but I think PPMs are around 180-210 and pH around 8.5 How does that figure in to the 500 PPM for early veg. Do I wanna only add 300 PPM of nutes/additives or would I want 680-710 PPM for early veg?

Any help is appreciated.

Ebb&Flower
09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
???

Havent started yet and just wanna make sure I have every thing clear before hand. Or atleast a good idea of how things work.

Thanks.

dhill
09-22-2006, 02:05 PM
E&F

Your starting nutrient strength is low enough to add the 500ppm of nutes to your tap water making it around 680ppm.

If you are using additives that increase your ppm then wait at least one week before starting them on any additives. Always feed your plants according to ppm, if you go over your ppm after adding additives then refer to the above post by dgoldman.

As a final note, your plants will always tell you if they don't like something. Always watch your plants closely.

Ebb&Flower
09-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Can I add Tap Water back to lower PPMs if I go over with nutes/additives?

Dont have access to a RO unit.

David G.
09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
If the PPM's rise over time (due to the fact that the plants are taking up H2O faster than they are taking up nutrients) then yes, you can top off the reservoir during the week with plain water. If the PPM of your tap water was much over 200 then I would advise at least adding 25-50% of RO or distilled water, but 180-210 should be OK.

Ebb&Flower
10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Think you guys have answered pretty much all my quetions for now :D I know there were quite a few. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Just a couple more and I think thats it for now :eek:

Wondering how these should be added together. Ionic Nutrients(Grow, Bloom, and Boost), Cannazym, Rhizotonic, and Silica Blast.

I know that I should add Ionic to res first. What gets added next? Does it matter?

Now a lot of these mention that I should pH after adding. Do I pH to 6 after adding each product? Seems like a lot of pH down/up. Just pH after every thing(nutrients/additives) is mixed together?

Also can I add the nutes/additives straight to res or should I add them to some tap water to dilute(sp?) before addding to res?

David G.
10-10-2006, 04:35 PM
It really doesn't matter what order you add the rest of the nutrients/enhancers. And, you don't need to dilute them first; just make sure you add then mix, add then mix. For example, you wouldn't want to add a part A fertilizer and then immediately dump the part B in the same place; the high concentration in that particular area of the reservoir could cause nutrient lockout.

You should only have to adjust your pH once during the mixing process - after you've added all of the nutrients and enhancers. Otherwise, you could potentially end up adding both pH up and down unnecessarily (not to mention all of the wasted labor).

Ebb&Flower
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks you for the quick reply :)

I will make sure that I have a couple air stones in the res. Should take care of mixing it up :D

Will adjust after every thing is mixed up. Do you know if I have to wait to adjust pH with Ionic nutes? Heard some nutes with buffers can be adjusted right away and some mention to wait about an hour.

David G.
10-10-2006, 06:02 PM
It's always best to wait if time permits, but it's not a big deal to do it right away either.

Ebb&Flower
10-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Thank you.

Ebb&Flower
05-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Okay I decided to not pick any of the additives/enhancers up. Just wanted to get a couple runs with just Ionic Grow/Bloom/Boost.

Think I have done pretty good with these and wanna try other additives they suggest. i.e. liquid oxygen, liquid silicon, greenfuse root/grow/bloom

I havent been able to find Liquid Silicon and Liquid Oxygen(UK only I believe). Any suggestions on what I should get instead?

And with the Greenfuse. Do I just use GF Root 1st couple weeks of veg(2-3 weeks), then use Grow?, when should I switch to GF bloom? As soon as I switch light cycle(12/12)? 2 weeks into flowering(once see flowers)?

Any info would be much appreciated