PDA

View Full Version : Commerical Hydro?

Jaxom
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm new to this site, but not new to growing hydroponically. Although I will need some advice on how take a hobby to a commerical scale.

What made me think about going commerical is this. Times are tough, I'm unemployed, and so far in debt that even if I found a well paying job today, it'll take me a year or three to dig myself out of my financial mess. I realized this early enough this year in order to rip out our back small back yard (25'x25') and plant a garden. As the year progressed we were happy to have all the "extra" veggies. This certainly helped with our budget.

Then about two weeks ago, my other half says, the one thing she'll miss the most in the winter is having fresh veggies. Like I said, I have grown hydroponically, so I whipped up a small aeroponic bucket that's on our back porch for growing tommatos over the winter. I have a second one waiting on a pump for green peppers.

But this got me to thinking, we have large unfinnished basement, what if I were to set up some lights and some larger aerponic systems, and I could start to supply local restuarants and such with fresh veggies. With a special emphisis on growing hot peppers!

That leads me to why I'm here. I could easily set up a grow room or three in the basement by dividing areas using plastic sheeting and hanging some HPS lights about the place. That's not my concern right now. That's actually the easy part. What I need advice on is, will I need a license? Will I need to have the health department come and give me their offical okey-dokey? Can I get away not doing this while I get up and running and then later call them in?

I have no problems with these issues, I just wanna know what I'm in for. What I'd really like to know is if I can start out small scale, and sell produce for cash, so I can build actual rooms and such so I don't have extention cords all over. This would also give me time to build more and larger hydro units. I'm not totally trying to get away without paying my fair share in taxes, just need some leeway to get up and going is all.

Thanks,

jax

MDub86
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Jax,

I think you've got the right idea. Just off the top of my head i can say that in order to grow your own fruits and veggies you dont need anyone's approval (at least to start with). and furthermore if you bring all your luschious veggies to lets say a "farmer's market", you can bypass all those health regulations and make some dough for yourself. although when i say it outloud it sounds kind of malicious lol. Best of luck Jax! sorry i wasnt more help!

David G.
12-29-2009, 09:30 PM
You do not need a health permit to grow produce and sell it to restaurants, etc. Health permits are only required if you are processing foods, so if you decided to take the peppers and make a sauce out of them, you would need a health permit, along with a proper sink, etc.

What you will need is everything associated with starting a business. The main difference between your business and a regular retail business is that your accountant will use a different tax form. But everything else is more or less the same, whether you are selling widgets or produce. However, things can vary slightly from county to county...