PDA

View Full Version : Unable to mix the nutrient

takkaru
10-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi,
I am new to hydroponics, i mixed nutrients with water and the pH value is 6.2 and Ec value is 3.1 ms/Cm. i planted tomato seeds and the seeds germinated. But it has been 6 days after germination and no leaves are growing other than the first two. What has gone wrong

David G.
10-02-2009, 11:48 PM
3.1 EC is very high for seedlings. In fact, you shouldn't even fertilize until the first set of true leaves appears, and then you should start with around 1.0 EC.

Other possible causes could be excess humidity (leading to dampening off, etc.) and improper lighting, but I would start with the EC issue. At this point it may be best to just start new seeds, since even if the seedlings come out of their current state there is a good chance that they will never reach their full potential, and new (and stronger) seedlings will catch up to and eventually overtake the weak ones so you're not really losing any more time than you already have.

takkaru
10-03-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks for your help. My tap water is cholorinated. Does cholorine affect the growth of plants.

David G.
10-03-2009, 11:18 AM
It does, but not normally to the extent you describe. If it's not within your budget to purchase something like the Small Boy (http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=WTROSB01&eq=&Tp=) then I would try to let the water sit for 24 hours before irrigating the plants with it. This will help release most of the chlorine gas. Keep in mind, however, that many municipalities are now using chloramines as well, and the only way to remove these are with a KDF-85 filter (http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=WTROSTLFCKDF85&eq=&Tp=). If it's within your budget, they I would spring for a complete reverse osmosis system (http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemMatrix.asp?ic=WTROSTL10&eq=&MatrixType=2), which will give you almost 100% clean water - perfect for growing plants.

takkaru
10-20-2009, 02:37 AM
i have changed the nutrient solution. Now Ec is around 1.4 and pH is 5.8. I am using coco as growing media. But still the plants are not showing any improvement. The seeds germinated and only two leaf remains. what is the cause?? acn any one help me

refine
11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I am a beginner to hydroponics but I know a little about water quality from owning many fish tanks with live plants and no filtration.

If you aren't filtering your water and you are starting with hard mineral rich water, your Ec reading can be high even if your nutrients are low or hardly present due to a high mineral content in your city's water supply.

The best way to combat this (I would check first.. you can find stats about your city's water supply with a quick google search) is to use RO and start from scratch, as David suggested. Find out whats there first before you start adding your own things.

Btw.... What did you add to bring the pH down so low?

David G.
11-14-2009, 11:55 AM
1.4 EC is still excessively high for tomato seedlings. If there are only 2 leaves then I would assume these are the cotyledons, not the true leaves, and so you shouldn't even be feeding the seedlings at this stage. My advice would be to toss the seedlings and start over; it's not worth the time trying to nurse the plants back to health. If you burned them at this very young stage then they will never reach their full potential, and if you start new seeds they will quickly overtake the sick one's, so it's a better investment in time and money to just start over. If you do end up feeding the plants early again, the only thing I would really consider is a little bit of something like Cal-Mag, since depending on which brand of coco you are using it may not be pre-buffered and the plants will suffer, although if you're tap water is hard they will probably make it until you are ready to start fertilizing.