PDA

View Full Version : How do i get started cloning/tissue culture?

Snidley
10-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I got to this site by looking for more information on Clonex.

I've recently started reading about tissue culture as a way to reproduce exceptional cultivars of various plants, shrubs, and trees. There are some that I have - such as Japanese Maples, and various unique conifers - that I'd like to have several more of. Somebody recommended that tissue culture was the way to do it. So I started researching it.

I had two books recommended, and somebody pointed me at the "Kitchen Culture Kit", which seemed like it might provide something of a solution, but with a lot of experimentation, risk, and difficulty in getting to where I'd be able to use it effectively.

I was browsing on eBay and found a couple of product - one of which was Clonex, which might be easier to use and more successful than the kitchen culture. So I found my way here.

So, how do I get started with cloning good plants through tissue culture, using mediums and products that might be found here? I have reproduced a number of plants from cuttings and by division before. But this seems a bit more sophisticated, and possibly would lead to better success with some of the more difficult things.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

kakashibatosi
10-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure if this helps, but for cloning plants i've used rooting powder before. I take a snipping of foliage two knobs back from a leaf, coated the clipped end with rooting powder, and then wrapped it in a damp paper towel and allow the clipping to sit in water indoors. I'm sure outdoors would work too, but after about a week the roots should be visible. Once the roots are developed to your liking, plant it. You can also use this new snipping (carefully) in rockwool in a hydro system.

Snidley
10-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks. I've usede rooting powder. But I'm really looking for different things here. One is what the advantage is to using Clonex - if any. Another has to do with now someone would get started - what products to use - for tissue culture as a way to do cloning. I see your suggestion about rockwool. I haven't used it before. I've always used Jiffy products. But I've found there are a lot of problems with damping off, etc, so I'm looking for alternatives. Tissue culture looks like a good possibility. But all the things I've read so far look like there's a lot of work involved to do what somebody must have packaged by now. And finally, there is the issue of how to clone Japanese Maples explicitly. I've had no luck with trying to root cuttings. So I'm looking for alternative ways to reproduce them. Products here look promising. So I'm asking how to get started.

David G.
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Tissue culture is an awesome way of propagating plants. Until recently, it was a method mostly reserved for growers with access to tissue culture laboratories. Finally, we have a kit that works great:

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemDesc.asp?ic=PRAPTCCK

We've propagated plants such as carnivorous plants, irus, redwood trees, and many others. The results are amazing. Plants are easily transportable, multiply like crazy, are free from insects and disease, etc. I definitely recommend checking out this kit.