PDA

View Full Version : Best system for purely vegitative crops?

griffithbuilt
09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
I am planning on starting a small hydro or aero garden and I think the first crops I am going to start with will be a variety of herbs (basil, sage, oregano, cilantro, dill) as well as a small selection of greens (endive, butter lettuce, etc). I would then like to expand into a system that could grow a variety of peppers, tomatoes and vegetables.

I am curious what the best system would be for these types of plants. From what I have read, I can probably put together an aeroponic or ebb/flow system fairly easily, but I think that in the long run I will be better off with a system that will not clog like many of the pvc intensive ebb/flow systems that i have seen as diy designs. My available space has no windows and hence will require lighting (it is a downstairs bathroom), and so i was planning on utilizing the oversized shower as a place to house my first design (easy to hang the overhead 400 to 600 watt hid lighting from the shower frame).

So what style of system works best for vegetative intensive setups like this?

Thanks.

colins1979
06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi there. have you tried aeroponics? There is a realy good aeroponic herb grower out try googling it

stella
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Keep in mind if you stick to purely vegetative, you can get by with T-5 fluorescents, but if you want to growing fruiting veggies, you will need HID lighting.