PDA

View Full Version : Economics of Dry Ice CO2 Generation

griffithbuilt
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Just curious if it would be beneficial to seed CO2 into a closed growing environment using dry ice? Obviously there would need to be some ventilation of the root system in any area where the co2 concentration was high...

Is this just unbelievable overkill or would there be benefit to justify the cost (dry ice per pound is fairly cheap as far as I recall)

Jason

dhill
09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Jason

What is your cost of dry ice? What is the area that you wish to use the dry ice in?

NJGardener
01-16-2007, 06:32 AM
From what I see, dry ice is a pretty labor intensive (and probably costly) way to try and raise CO2 levels. Even if you have access to lots of cheap dry ice, you will have to work out a way to meter it's sublimation. This will take nearly constant [instrument] monitoring until you develop some idea of the release rate. I think the danger of having substantial peaks and lows may cause more harm than good. I don't see dry ice as being viable for maintaining relatively constant CO2 levels for several weeks.
If you've got some experience with growing without CO2 then experimenting with CO2 from (rented) regulated compressed gas cylinders is the way you should go. You'll either need to do the calculations for flow rate carefully or use a measurement device frequently to determine your levels.