PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP with light and gen info

norton
01-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I am setting up a 4 x 4 dark room, I have been looking at lights and I am totally confused. I understand the diff in bulbs as far as veg and flowering. What I need help is in determining if I need a 600W or a 1000w, to confuse things a bit more I saw a bulb on ebay that was a cfl 7000 lumen 500w 13" grow bulb. The seller says this will do the trick just keep the bulb within 2'.

If you can go to the site and read the info and let me know. GO to ebay and go under "grow lights".

Does anyone have any experience with this cfl or am I just wasting my time?

I am setting up a hydro system and was wondering how many plants I can actually grow in an area that size

Unregistered
01-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't know much about that 500w cfl. I do know that you want to keep flourescents closer than HID bulbs, and that while they aren't "a waste of time," they do tend to be less powerful than HID bulbs. I haven't ever heard of a 500w cfl, though.

What I do know is that your necessary wattage will depend on how tall you grow your plants. The increasing the distance light has to travel to reach your leaves greatly reduces the amount of energy your leaves are recieving. So low wattage systems work well for small plants, high wattage of course works better for taller plants.

Hope this helps!

bwizb
01-13-2010, 11:32 AM
This might help, I'm in no way promoting anyones site, but there seems to be good info on lighting, including your actual room size and lighting recommendations.

>>Actually instead of posting someone else's sight, this forum has a pretty good FAQ as well, here's what I've found:

forums.bghydro.com/faq.php?faq=faq_lighting_main#faq_faq_lighting_wat tage

Unregistered
01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
A 500watt CFL should produce much more than 7000 lumens. I have several 26watt CFLs from wal-mart (they are intended for human use, not plant) that I successfully grow orchids under, they produce somewhere around 2000 lumens each, you can get 125watt CFLs from Worm's Way that probably produce somewhere around 10,000 lumens. But whoever told you to keep it close to the plants is right: fluorescent lights burn cooler than HID lamps, so you can keep them closer to the plants to optimize their output, as light intensity dissipates over distance. Unfortunately, this means that the light may not be able to cover a 4' X 4' area because it will have to start off hanging low.