PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Questions

sdouglass14
01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I have read so many difference of opinions on lighting need for Yellow Pear Tomatoes and Sweet Banana Peppers. I am on a tight budget like most people now adays and was curious as to the lighting fixture I would need to purchase. They have fixtures on ebay for $120. But wal mart has shop light fixtures for about $10 minus bulbs and they carry plant/aquarium bulbs also. Would using a normal shop light be sufficient for good vegative growth? If so what bulbs would I be looking for that I may purchase at local hardware stores such as homedepot and lowes. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Amigatec
01-15-2010, 03:43 PM
The shop light is not bright enough for much more than seed starting.

MDub86
01-15-2010, 03:55 PM
true dat. u can use the shop light for seedlings and clones. but if you want to produce fruits and flowers on your plants you'll need something with at least 150 watts.

sdouglass14
01-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay that is good to know any ideas on a cost effective lighting system? something that won't break the bank but doesn't sacrifice to much quality. Im running an 18gallon rubbermaid DWC system 6 plants Thank you for your replies

willard3
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Shop lights are fine for hydro and work well. Cool white lamps also work well in the shop lights.

You will need 30-50 watts/square ft of plant crown which will require more shop lights as you grow more plants.

GARCROB
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
look at my thread about metal halide warehouse lights -

i have been running a 400 w metal halide for a few weeks and it is working great
total cost of the ballast and light = $60 total!!! way cheaper than the other lighting systems and it does the same thing, no noise either like the mag ballasts make.

the light with the reflector covers about 12 sqft or so, and can be adjusted depending on height.