PDA

View Full Version : T5 lighting

Unregistered
01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I am currently running 4-1000W HPS in my system.What is the output,lumins on the T5 HO. 6 or 8 light system.Can I replace my current set up with these and how many will I need?

Sunlight Supply
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Each 4 foot long 54w T5 HO lamp produces about 5,000 lumens per lamp. So our 8 lamp fixture will produce around 40,000 lumens. Each 1000 HPS lamp produces about 145,000 lumens each. So if you were comparing straight lumens to lumens it would take almost 4 - 8 lamp fixtures to compare to the output of the 1000 hps. Of course the T5 will be more uniform, and the less heat output. and of course the 1000W has more penitration power. Theres tons of variables to consider in this idea, but in my oponion and from what I've heard from many customers is the T5 produce excellent strong plants, but lack the fruiting or flowering power of the 1000W HPS. There are pros and cons of both lighting, but if you are used to the production of the 4 - 1000W fixtures you have you may want to stick with them. Or add the T5 as a supplemental light. Note: there is a T5 VHO fixture and lamp now availabe, it produces about 7,200 lumens per lamp.

Gercheept
03-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Lighting down where I am is huge It really does separate you from the rest. Our lighting has helped us secure bookings where only lights were needed.

Stage plays, school plays, etc. So if were not booking DJ entertainment were booking our light show packages.

willard3
03-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Fluorescent lights produce approx 100 lumens/watt, hid ranges from 125-200 lumens/watt.

Unregistered
05-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Lumens don't mean anything, because the term as it is used in the lighting industry is weighted at 550-555nm - green light, which humans are most sensitive to. They make pure green bulbs in T5HO that are rated 5000 lumens, then they have pure red and those are rated about 1500, and a pure blue rated about 1800. All are 54w tubes. The red one will outperform the green one all day long, so will the blue.

Lumens means nothing. Horticultural light makers have been using this for decades and it's simply not that usable of a measurement unless accompanied by a spectral output chart so you can compare the 5000 lumen rating at 550-550nm to get a semi-equivalent lumen rating for the other wavelengths. Most makers rarely give out a chart because they know their bulbs are dismal despite a high lumens rating.

bwhite3
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
T5's are great. You can have the much closer to your plants than 1000w HPS. Your HPS lights will give you a much better blooming spectrum than the T5's, unless you put the proper blooming bulbs in the fixture. As to how many you would need, I would think 6 or more to compete with the HPS lights

davzotl
07-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I responded in great length to the issue of hydroponic lighting. See "Lamp Recommendation" response below, dated July 13. I would venture to say that over 95% of people have never heard of Induction Lighting. Check with your local utility -- they will share some information about induction lighting or, you are welcome to continue your research on the Internet. The internet is probably the better source. Good luck in your research. Take care, DAVE