PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Pump and water delivery question

Chris_x
01-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Hi there to everyone on the forum!

So i have just had a major interest in growing veg hydroponically, and have a few questions that need clarifying, if anyone has answers.

I am trying to wrap my head around water pumps and their delivery rate, so i have worked out a few calculations based on what i want to set up....

I read in an online published research paper focusing on hydro farming and te conclusion by the author was that for every plant being grown (in this case tomatos), they need 500ml of water delivery per hour, for maximum yield.

SO if i have 10 plants in a square box gutter, with a feeding system that sprays the nutrient on top of the roots, and then recirculates back to the water reservior, i need a water delivery rate of 5000ml or 500ml per plant per hour. Most fish tank pumps are rated at least 100 Litres per hour water delivery rate, with some being up to 5000 litres per hour delivery.

With a 5000 litre p hour pump, can i support (5000 litre divide by 500 mllilitre per plant per hour) the watering of 10000 plants i the hydroponic setup???

that seems to be far off...can someone please give me some answers?? thanks :confused:

MDub86
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
alright so first of all. throw the idea that you need exactly 500 ml of nutrients fed to the plant every hour for maximum yeild. It really depends on the type of media you'll be using. Rock wool for instance will retain ALOT of moisture. Therefore, you wouldnt be feeding nearly as often as if you were growing in soil. Plants drink what they want when they want, and the amount varies from species to species. All you really need to do is figure out what media to use, and from there the exact dimensions of where you want the water to go. BGHydro.com carries any pump size you will need. if ur doing drip, i know for a fact that with a 3x6 tray all you need is a 633 GPH pump. the power of the pump increases with the size of the tray and/or reservoir. it is not based on how much you think your plant needs to drink. Hope this helps a little bro. Take care.

Amigatec
01-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I use a 264GPH pump on my Ebb & Flow with good success, the tray is 18 X 24.

It is more important to get one that will lift the water high enough. The higher the tray is the less the water the pump will pump.