PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Tricks for Bio 101 project

PrincessLeyla
01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
This is a bit silly ... but I'm hoping to learn something about this method of growing ... me and my two lab partners are wanting to make a small, cheap, hydroponic set up for Alaskan Pea Plants (hardy) for a 15 week project ... just a foray into hydroponics. None of us has done this before. I was thinking ... A tray, PVC pipe w/ holes drilled into it, and little wire baskets maybe? I'm posting this here to see if any of you more advanced peeps out there can point me to some appropriate teks and/or tell me the very most basic things we'll have to do to keep our little pea plant hydro system alive (food, FAE, ph, water exchange, etc etc ...) I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information out there and in here and don't really know anything about it.
Please and THANKYOU :) peace :confused: :p :cool:

ChairFace
02-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Hydroponics can definitely be overwhelming for people just starting out. Here's an idea that will keep the costs low:

Hydroponic growing is any method of growing that doesn't utilize soil. Coco coir would be good because it has the moisture retention of soil (less watering) while being inert (meaning you have to add all the nutrients that the plant needs). And it's cheap. You can get a bale that will make 65-70 liters of coco for under $15.

After the seedlings/clones have roots coming out from the bottom of whatever you are rooting them in, I'd suggest moving them to one gallon grow containers. You bale of coco should fill about 18 of these, though you can buy it in smaller quantities. You should hand water them once a day. We also sell saucers to catch the runoff, though obviously you can make these yourself as well.

Then you need nutrients. I would reccomend CNS17 Grow for Soil/Coco. This goes for under $10 for a quart. Make sure you follow the directions on the bottle. You might also want to consider getting an enhancer like Floralicious Plus and a rooting agent like Rhizotonic, both of which are helpful but not necessary. You might also want a pH control kit. We sell them retail for about $20, which includes a testing solution as well as an acid and a base to adjust pH.

As for lighting, a t5 system or compact flourescent should be sufficient for vegetative growth, but I'd reccomend not buying a lighting system that is not designed for horticultural applications.

Though this setup is not as interesting as the one you were thinking of, it's a lot easier and cheaper (should come out to around 200 to 300 retail at BGH). But, of course, ingenuity is always welcome in hydroponics as long as you keep in mind the plant's fundamental needs.

If you want your plants to produce flowers, give us a call. This should serve you for vegetative. Hope this helps!