PDA

View Full Version : timer and digi ballast????

Unregistered
03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
i've never had too many issues with either but recently i switched to a lumatek digital and none of my timers can turn it on. i've tried mech and digi timers rated to way over what i need and they just don't turn on. if i unplug the timer and plug the ballast in, it fires right up. knowledge NEEDED!??

Unregistered
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
First, make sure your timer works with something else you know works like a radio or another light. It may be the the timer is inadvertently set in "off". This is most likely.
I would be genuinely surprised if your timer's impedance (electrical resistance) was significant enough to trigger an under-voltage fail to start situation.

Second.
If your timer works perfect with other things then check your house wiring with a volt meter. Electronic ballasts will protect themselves from an under-voltage (less than 120V or 220V in some cases).
If your home power is within a couple of volts then check step three.

Third, you are drawing way too much power off your circuit. 15 Amps is typical limit before a breaker will trip. If you have a 1000 W ballast, an 120 W fan, 20 W hydro pump, 100 W reservoir heater, etc.
You can easily overload the circuit without immediately popping the breaker. This will create an intermittent voltage drop that the electronic ballast will recognize as an overloaded circuit, thus failing to start.

In this case your solution is to either run a lower voltage light or run it on a different circuit. Plug-ins in the same room are generally on the same circuit. 400 W or 600 W usually give no problem in most homes.

Still dreaming big? Get an electrician.

Unregistered
03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
do you 240 Volt Lumatek? if so are you using a 110 volt timer?

willard3
03-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Youe timers are not rated for the light. Check the voltage/amps of the timer and the light/ballast.

Unregistered
03-22-2010, 07:26 PM
I have a similar issue. I have occasional power fluctuations. The magnetic ballasts are fine, and the electronic ones are usually fine. But they are definitely more sensitive. Is there some kind of a voltage regulator designed for HID lighting?

Second question: Occasionally the power will go out for 1 minute then come back on. None of the electronic ballasts will restart automatically. How long does the power need to remain out for them to not consider it a trip (in other words right now they will re-light when the timer tries again the next day, but not automatically after the short outage)?

And I know there are some gizmos to address this issue - can you point me in the right direction?

Last but not least - is it even thinkable to use some kind of a UPS with a dual 600 for example.

Unregistered
04-26-2010, 07:23 AM
First, make sure your timer works with something else you know works like a radio or another light. It may be the the timer is inadvertently set in "off". This is most likely.
I would be genuinely surprised if your timer's impedance (electrical resistance) was significant enough to trigger an under-voltage fail to start situation.

Second.
If your timer works perfect with other things then check your house wiring with a volt meter. Electronic ballasts will protect themselves from an under-voltage (less than 120V or 220V in some cases).
If your home power is within a couple of volts then check step three.

Third, you are drawing way too much power off your circuit. 15 Amps is typical limit before a breaker will trip. If you have a 1000 W ballast, an 120 W fan, 20 W hydro pump, 100 W reservoir heater, etc.
You can easily overload the circuit without immediately popping the breaker. This will create an intermittent voltage drop that the electronic ballast will recognize as an overloaded circuit, thus failing to start.

In this case your solution is to either run a lower voltage light or run it on a different circuit. Plug-ins in the same room are generally on the same circuit. 400 W or 600 W usually give no problem in most homes.

Still dreaming big? Get an electrician.

thanks for the help, though it does not help. 200 amp service with a 20 amp dedicated circuit. 12/2 ran the whole way. checked my volts, 118 to 120. i've tried the timers on house lights, lamps, etc.. even went and bought two new timers. i think the lumatek blows big ones! i hope their service is good.