PDA

View Full Version : Frugal Lighting sugestions

GARCROB
03-31-2010, 03:47 PM
I am new to Hydro Ponics, i have a few dwc systems outdoors but i am looking to set up a grow room indoors.

I am looking to use Fluorescent lighting because of heat and power consumption.

T5 ballasts and bulbs are not too crazy in price but does anyone else have any other suggestions for lighting means on a budget?

I am looking at 4 different sections about 4X4 each - these sections must be kept separate,

let me know your thoughts.

Murph
03-31-2010, 09:25 PM
T5 tubes and CFLs are the way to go on a budget

willard3
04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Long term, ie, longer than a year, HID is the least expensive lighting source. With electricity at $0.15/kwh, you don't have to run too many hours for the HID advantage to kick in.

bwhite3
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
T5 is a good light on a tight budget. I have actually used lower wattage HPS lights for my very first grows. I think my first light was a 75 watt HPS. It worked pretty damn well for a few years.

davzotl
07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Do your homework. The internet is the perfect to research Induction Lighting. See my response to "Lamp Recommendation" below. Good luck. Dave

Unregistered
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Why would HID be more effiecent than Fluorescent? Dont they have higher wattage and generate more heat?

DLAB
10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
they do. they also pull more amps through your walls....ive used CFL's (6x 100w daylight) and theyve been working out really well.

willard3
10-29-2010, 09:18 AM
For a given amount of lighting and power, HID is the most efficient source. It is also the most economical light source over the life of the lamp.

If anything else were better, street lighting would use it.....seen anything but HID doing roadway lighting lately?

brbubba
10-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Long term, ie, longer than a year, HID is the least expensive lighting source. With electricity at $0.15/kwh, you don't have to run too many hours for the HID advantage to kick in.

Well if we parsed out the costs over the course of a full year, then LED would likely win everytime. Extremely high up front costs, but very low electricity usage or I should say very efficient electricity usage.

willard3
01-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Electricity usage for LED for the same amount of light as HID is higher.

2thbob
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
HPS is going to give the most plant available radiation for the cost, period. To light a 4X4 area, a 400 watt will give you perfection. The most effective of the lamps is Sun Master. A digital ballast will help hold down the heat and the power usage.

jbat35
01-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Get 2 heat lamp assemblies, currently on sale at home depot for $6 a piece, and put a 150 or 300 watt inc equiv CFL in it.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/jbat3535/content___media_external_images_media_230.jpg

02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I live in Alaska and heat is a real plus for us in the winter. You obviously don't have that trouble. I have had great results using UFO's during the veg cycle. I have done side by side comparisons with 600 watt MH and UFO's. The end result for me is that I saw no noticeable difference between the two. If anything, the UFO's produced slightly better results than the HID's. Do your homework. There are many UFO's out there, some are really bogus. If you purchase the right ones, you will not be sorry. The right ones are NOT the most expensive. The right ones have the best spectrums. Again... do your homework. You can buy good ones on-line all day long for under $200. I own 10 as well as 4 600 watt HPS which I use along with UFO's for flowering. This has produced huge harvests for me. The combination of the two lights works WAY better than either one on its own. Good Luck.