PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce Woes

Hux
05-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I have been trying to grow lettuce and spinach hydroponically without much success. I have had luck with basil.

My grow system is a fish tank filled with nutrient solution. A piece of styrafoam floats on top with holes in it. The rockwool is in the holes. I got directions for the construction of this system from Living Earth at Epcot Center. :)

This worked tremendously well with basil, but I've had very poor success so far with lettuce/spinach. Instead of growing a head, it seemed to grow more like a vine. I'm starting to think that perhaps it was immediately bolting, but I'm not really sure if that's the case.

I'd really appreciate some advice, I have been hoping to grow salad greens, but my frustration has really peaked at this point.

Additionally: Is it possible to grow mint hydroponically? I can't see to get that to take off either. Fortunately, that one seems to love the soil outside.

Thanks!

Riceloft
07-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I have been trying to grow lettuce and spinach hydroponically without much success. I have had luck with basil.

My grow system is a fish tank filled with nutrient solution. A piece of styrafoam floats on top with holes in it. The rockwool is in the holes. I got directions for the construction of this system from Living Earth at Epcot Center. :)

This worked tremendously well with basil, but I've had very poor success so far with lettuce/spinach. Instead of growing a head, it seemed to grow more like a vine. I'm starting to think that perhaps it was immediately bolting, but I'm not really sure if that's the case.

I'd really appreciate some advice, I have been hoping to grow salad greens, but my frustration has really peaked at this point.

Additionally: Is it possible to grow mint hydroponically? I can't see to get that to take off either. Fortunately, that one seems to love the soil outside.

Thanks!

I have the same set of instructions and am looking at trying my hand at lettuce. Any advice would be appreciated.

iglehart
10-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Some pictures would be helpful.
I am using a similiar system with fair sucess, my plants grow but they are not huge. My lettuce is about the size of kids baseball glove. The bottom leaves are wilted and I am growing leaf lettuce.

Sounds like bolting, but without more info its hard to say.

Add pics, types of lettuce, temp, nutrient solution used, etc.

Techteacher
04-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm having very good success with oakleaf lettuce. I think I planted to close though. We must harvest daily to keep from becoming matted. The basil is another story. It was extremely slow to germinate.

Any suggestions on pH levels for basil and does it matter whether you add the nutrients prior to testing for pH levels?