PDA

View Full Version : Lamp Recommendation

gaijin
07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Hello all,
I am fairly new to hydroponics. I am in the market for a new HPS lamp. I have a Lumatek 400w dimmable ballast. Can someone please recommend a 400w HPS lamp? Cost is not an issue, I am interested in the best performing bulb that is compatible with the Lumatek ballast.

I would also like to know if there would be any problems running a 400w HPS lamp using the ballasts 50% or 75% settings (running the lamp at <400 watts). And by problems I mean damage to either the lamp or the ballast.

Thanks for any help.

gaijin
07-12-2010, 05:40 AM
So, 85+ views and no advice, huh?
Well, anyways I'm thinking of upgrading to a 600w digital ballast. I am currently using a cool tube in a small cabinet set-up. The reflector in the cool tube sucks, so I am thinking of going with a 600w Gavita lamp for better light distribution. Does anyone have any experience with the Gavita? More specifically, how it compares to something like a 600w Hortilux? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

J

davzotl
07-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I have followed with great concern the advice that others are so willing to offer others. Generally speaking, I have not been impressed.

Regarding your questions, I do not believe that HPS, like metal halides MH, lighting fixtures are suitable for any indoor growing settings -- either hydroponic or green house. They are energy guzzlers and generate extremely high temperatures and are not the best choice for the climate controlled growing areas. There are much better lighting technologies currently on the market, and the debate regarding the attributes of each on the Internet is plentiful. However, these lighting technologies can be summed up in three basic products.

1. High Output (HO) T-5/T-8 Fluorescents,

2. Light Emitting Diodes (LED's), and

3. "electrode-less" Induction Lighting

#1 Over the past five years, fluorescent lighting has finally improved. However, other than speciality and expensive "grow lamps", fluorescent is not as good as another lighting technology. A plus for fluorescents, with the exception of grow lamps, these fixtures are relative inexpensive. However, the total lumens per watt, Kelvin temperature, and color rendition index (CRI) leaves much to be desired. The average rated life is sharply decreased by multiple switching on/off schedules (motion sensors, in other settings, would kill a typical fluorescent fixture). In addition, these lights flicker and make noise. In the event that lamps burn out and need to be changed, and they will, haz-mat handling and disposal procedures will apply. So it is important to factor in these hidden costs to these lowest priced items.

#2 LED's, in the opinion of many, are the "cat's meow," i.e., "the latest and the greatest." However, the discussions on the Internet regarding the benefits of LED area lighting are far off the mark. Frankly, the opinions expressed on the Internet regarding the support of LED's are just not well founded on the knowledge of available lighting technologies. LED's are not my first choice. They are too expensive, require sizable energy-consuming arrays for area lighting, have poor lumen per watt ratings, poor Kelvin temperature ratings, low CRI, and GENERATE TOO MUCH HEAT FOR EITHER THE HYDROPONIC/GREENHOUSE GROWERS COMMUNITY, and have an average rated life of 50,000 hours. Better than fluorescents but, not as good as induction.
Regarding the high operating temperatures of LED's, some enterprising individuals on the Internet have used either fans, and other heat dissapating efforts to cool these fixtures -- just what you want on an energy-efficienct lighting fixture. . . gobble up somemore precious and expensive energy.

#3 I am truly amazed by Induction lighting products. Do your research. Today there is a lot of information available on the Internet regarding Induction Lighting. "Electrode-less" Induction Lighting is not to be confused with first-generation Induction Lighting products introduced over ten years ago. Since then, Induction Lighting has come a long way. It is extremely energy efficient, eco-friendly, long-lasting, instant on/off, no flicker, no RF problems, can operate in extreme temperature ranges, and Induction Lighting will not break the bank. Induction Lighting is slightly more than fluorescent fixtures and far less than LED's. Induction Lighting fixtures have an average rated life of 100,000 hours -- the longest in the industry and will maintain over 85% of the lumen output over this period of time. These lights can burn 24/7 for over eleven years. Regarding Kelvin temperatures, Induction Lighting produces a white/daytime quality light rated at 5,000 Kelvins and a CRI of 85+.
Regarding Induction lighting, since these fixtures operate at cool-to-the-touch temperatures, they are ideal for hydroponic farming and other greenhouse uses. I read on the Internet that Induction Lighting mimics daytime quality light and farmers have seen increased yields in their green house crops, and other farmers have seen an increase in the egg-laying production of chickens. On the Internet I learned that some indoor farmers mount Induction Lighting fixtures on arrays that can be raised and lowered by pulley. They are able to keep the Induction Lighting fixtures at a fixed lever directly over the plants to promote growth and increase yields. The plants are unaffected by the low operating temperatures of the induction lamps and do not produce the harsh glare of LED's.

Simply put, Induction lighting products will out perform and outlast any lighting products currently on the market -- including HO fluorescents and LED's.

Again, there is plenty on the Internet regarding the pros and cons of any lighting technology. Do your research, as I have, and hopefully you will come to the same conclusion. I was introduced to Induction Lighting nearly five years ago at a trade show. This company was from California. Last year, I saw them again at a trade show. The same guys, however, this time there were many other suppliers of both induction and LED lighting products.

I was skeptical at first, however, I am convinced that Induction Lighting is the best, most dependible, and quality lighting product on the market today. By the way, I contact those guys from California from time to time. Their products are made in the USA and the answer to your needs. Their email address is: [email protected]

Good luck ! Keep up the research.

2thbob
01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
HPS are going to give you the most lumens per energy consumed. CRI means nothing to plants. The only concern is plant available radiation, and to choose one bulb that does it best theres none better than SunMaster. Ive used them all. With a 400 watt Ill assume youre doing a closet?? 50 watts per square foot is a good target, and as for heat...you can be safe with letting your crop get as close as 6 inches to the bulb..if you provide a vent above the light for the heat to escape.

willard3
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
This induction lighting thing is spam.
Induction lighting is waaaayyyyy less efficient than HPS.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/willard3/spam1.jpg

yourm8
01-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Hi would lamps help with growing bedding plants ect

Thanks

sutaohehe
03-18-2011, 09:31 AM
HPS wastes too much energy.
Why not go with LED?
<a href="http://www.okledlighting.com/"> LED High Bay</a>

sunnys1230
03-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Excellent site, keep up the good work. I read a lot of forums on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say Im glad I found your forum. Thanks.
==============
Surveys (http://www.cashsurveys.net)

cable24601
03-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I do see that there is some induction lighting spam here but I did buy 3 40 watt lights to try out. I have tried LED on my last grow and it worked out fine but I wanted to try something new this time around

willard3
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
HPS wastes too much energy.
Why not go with LED?
<a href="http://www.okledlighting.com/"> LED High Bay</a>

HPS is 200 lumens/watt in larger sizes and LED is about 100 lumens/watt......which seems to waste energy now?

jim088
05-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi... first post... It's been awhile since I've grown hydroponically or under artificial lights. But I remember HPS lamps like "agro-sun" or "sun-grow" or something like that, where it was 400W HPS and 30W MH for a 430W total. I don't know the technical details... but are those still around? Are they a good option?