PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question, (Water Filter)

Cloneman
07-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Just set up new Hydro drip system for herbs and tomatoes, system only 3 days old, (no plants added yet) added all proper nutrients and Im noticeing a fowl smell and slightly merky water, (Like that of a fish tank). I use 2 air stones and have added 3 drops of hydrogen peroxcide. My question is, can I add a actavated charcoal filter to the system (like the ones in a fish tank to get rid of the smell and clear up the water. Or would that filter out the good stuff and be adding more problems to my system. This is a small system,10 gal tank. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Val

Heny
10-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Do not use a activated charcoal filter, this will remove necessary elements from your nutrient solution. What type of nutrients are you using, mine have very little smell

Unregistered
10-17-2010, 10:24 AM
neat grower

hydroveggies
11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi there, hydroveggies here. We have never really noticed an order coming from any of our units. Could be the brand of nutrients you are using. I know some of them use fish emollients in them which would give a fishy smell.

bikeidaho
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I have 4 x 10 gallon DWC containers with various levels of nut's and or light. Some or covered and some are not. They all have 2 x 6" airstones in them and after sitting for 4 weeks they do not really smell and the water is pretty clear. I use Fox Farm nuts in this system. I did notice a funky smell in a Ebb and Flow container once. I am pretty sure it was not getting enough O2 and it started to smell. Just my 2 cents.