PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce tastes like plastic

Hoekz
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi I am relatively new to hydro. I grew some lettuce and it looked really nice however it tasted like plastic. This was my second crop. the first crop tasted like plastic also but I also started seeding so I was told that was why is tasted so bad. Then i grew a second crop which looked really nice but when i tried it, it tasted terrible. I am using Botanicare Grow and liquid carma. I was told they were all that I needed.

I am also growing some tomatos. I have three plants. One is blooming regularly and I am getting tomatos but the other two are not blooming. I have tried to push them with the botanicare Bloom formula with no success. do you have any Ideas? Also while I am here and since I have not tried my tomatos, do I need to do anything special for the tomatos to make them taste good?

thanks,

Kevin

Heny
10-16-2010, 05:35 PM
What nutrient concentration are you lettuces at, they only need to have a CF of 8 - 12. I have put together a list of CF for vegetable, you can find it at http://www.homemadehydroponic.net/vegetable-growing-guide/

I have amazing tomatoes and have never added anything additional to my standard nutrient

cable24601
01-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I have also heard that if you run your system with only water 1 week before harvest I will help reduce and bad tastes.

Outdoor_Hydro
03-27-2012, 10:49 PM
I have also heard that if you run your system with only water 1 week before harvest I will help reduce and bad tastes.

Yah you need to have a flush cycle, 1 week before harvest just run water through that bitch. There is another additive you can add but for beginners just using water a week before picking your lettuce should help. This may only work for blooming plants with fruits/vegetables on them like tomatoes though, not sure if it would do anything with lettuce.