PDA

View Full Version : What lights to use on mini grow room.

jbat35
01-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I am doing an experiment as a ap bio project. I am doing a series of experiments for my end of the year thesis for the class on the manipulation of cloned green beans by changing the abiotic factors in which they interact with.

So far I have a 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft base, 3 ft tall grow room with tinfoil reflective surface due to a low budget haha. I am using 2 150 watt (incadecent equivalent) CFL's, about a foot above the beans. I am running lights 24/7 for now, and off a sprouting box's el cheapo soil. I am going to be transferring them to either regular potting soil or to a dws system soon.

I have heard there is a biological efficiency point where any more light doesn't mean anything. I have no idea where I am relative to that.

What do you guys think, is that enough lighting, just right, too much? What would you guys recommend I use?

I have thought about putting in a hps system, maybe 100 or 150 watt if I don't have enough. How does that rank, maybe too much? Also do you think cooling might be a problem, as of now I have a small bedroom fan for air circulation, would that be enough or might I need more to keep it cool?

Heres some pics
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/jbat3535/content___media_external_images_media_229.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/jbat3535/content___media_external_images_media_230.jpg

alexis12345
02-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Hi,
Cooling will definitely be a problem. I have a similar set-up at home and my HPS lights heat up quite a bit. I've recently bought some LED grow lights because the HPS caused too much heat and the parts were pretty expensive. I've installed the LED's about 2-3 weeks ago and so far I'm more than pleased with them. No heat whatsoever and from what I can tell, they are more effective than my HPS. But 2-3 weeks is not enough time to tell. i'll get back with the verdict in a few more weeks.

hrbrendan
02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Hey,

I have a little experience that may be of help. I started seedling green beans using a 24'' t-5 light on 24/7 on a heat map and they grew very very quickly. Since then, I have had them under both LED grow lights that I purchased on ebay ( this thing wont let me post the url so do an ebay search for 'led triband ufo grow light', the one i have 10 of comes up first) and a 1,000 watt metal halide bulb (i have a much larger setup). The beans grew just fine under the LED system, but were clearly faster under the large light. The ones cloeset to the large MH light produced beans first. You can check out the pics, results, etc and growth along the way on my blog if you like (blogponics.com).