PDA

View Full Version : Hortilux Blue experiences? Old dog new tricks?

BGB
10-30-2006, 12:38 AM
I came from the old school which said the more Lumens the better.
Now we are to understand that it is actually the CRI + the PAR output of the lamp which are the primary factors in vigorious natural growth? So I decided to try a Hortilux Blue 400 MH in place of my 430 hps. The 430 puts out nearly twice the lumens of the Hortilux 400 blue. But the 400 blue has awesome levels of light spectrum across the chart so I went forward and indeed the 400 Blue was not as bright as my 430 HPS. BUT after three weeks of observation I can say I am very pleased with the performace from the 400 blue.
Anybody else have observations of these Hortilux Blue lamps?
Anybody producing fruit with these? They seem to have plenty of Red?

Life Light
11-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Hello,

You are correct, CRI and PAR are both influential, but there are many other factors at play as well. Watts don't matter, lumens don't matter. All that matters to the plant is the light that can hit the surface of the leaf, that the plant can actually use for photosynthesis. If the light can't get to the leaf, it won't be able to take advantage of it.

PAR light is visible light. Evolution set the standard on what plants need to enjoy vigorous natural growth. Getting rid of your HPS light was a very good move. HPS light is terrible for plants. Red light has the least amount of energy of all the colors of the spectrum. If the Sun had been HPS light, life would have never evolved beyond slug forms of life.

Check out my post about 2 lights vs 1 light, in another thread in grow lighting here. There's a few more interesting facts I won't repeat here, but are directly related to the question of whats best for plant growth when it comes to light.

I'll keep an EYE out for your reply.

Cheers