PDA

View Full Version : too much lighting???

niigataOp
10-18-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm a newbie to growing indoors and I was wondering if its possible to have too much lighting. I'm growing in a closet space and have 8 plants with a grow area of about 12 square feet I'm running 4 4ft bulbs 2 at 6500k and 2 at 4100k. Also a 225 bulb led grow light with 160 red and 65 blue. The LEDs are hooked up but for now not running. I plan on turning them on when the plants start the budding process.

I'm curious as you what people on here think about my lighting. As well as is it possiable to have too much lighting.

niigataOp
10-20-2011, 02:12 AM
This is my first hydro grow. Just wondering how my setup rates. Any input?

I guess too much light is a stupid question.

willard3
10-20-2011, 09:43 AM
You will have to describe your lighting in power consumption, ie, watts or lumens. 30-50 watts/square foot at the plant canopy is what you want.

Unregistered
10-20-2011, 12:52 PM
There is a point called light saturation..when no more photosynthesis will occur. The only other worries would be the cost of electricity and heat. You are NO WHERE near close on enough light. You should be using at the least- a 600 watt hps. If you are going to use 48" flouro tubes, ten on each wall would just be a start. Run one 600 or a couple 400's, and half the plants. Youll get far more yield.

niigataOp
10-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you willard. The 4 48" bulbs are 40 watts each. One kind is 2200 lumans although I forget which one. The other I can't remember and I don't have the boxes for either one.

Let's say there all 2200 x 4 = 8800
12 square feet 8800/12 = 733.33

I remember seeing a post that said 1000-1500 humans per square foot of canopy.
My babies are only 10-12 inches tall. Am I right to think they are good for now with the light setup I have. Just when they get bigger and have more canopy area I'm going to need more light.

Unregistered
10-27-2011, 05:59 PM
You can grow with just about any light. But quality and quantity is what ita all about. For a good start you want 3000 lumens per square foot to veg, and 5000 lumens for flowerings is optimum. A high output T-5 4' flouresant is great for vegging your plants. You want one that puts out 20,000 lumens. These keep the heat down and use about 2.2 amps. For flowering you want to use a at least a 600 watt HPS light. Your space a 4x4 needs at least that much light. These will give you the best bang for your buck. As in your finished product will have bigger, tighter, and heavier buds. Cfls cause a lot of heat and would use way more power to get even close to what you would need in regards to lumens. I know this sounds crazy, but it is true. And you do have too many plants for the size of space you are using. I would bet you that you would have better yield, more thicker, tighter, way bigger buds with 4 plants. Again that sounds crazy, but the plants need some space and they will be fighting over the available light. You could do a little LST on them and really increase the yield on the 4 plants verses 8. You are new so you will undoubtedly do what you think is best, but what I have just told you is what works the best for the amount of money you will spend on electricity.