PDA

View Full Version : lights needed?

lovin it
11-11-2006, 07:24 AM
My usual method for giving light to my fresh clones and my new practice of pruning tops, have been under a 100 watt incandescent light bulb for 24 hours for 10 days, however now that I have bought a 400 watt metal halide fixture im wondering if I can now place the new clones and topping clippings under this 400 watt light source for maximum growth?

dhill
11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
You can put your cuttings under the MH bulb, however keep a close eye on them. Sometimes the cuttings will burn especially if they have just rooted or about to root. If this is the case keep the light up high for the first day or two until the cutting acclimatise to the new light source. After a day or two you will be able to bring the light closer.

NJGardener
01-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Even though you have the 400 watt MH, I think an investiment in a double light fluorescent fixture would be worthwhile if you are going to be doing more seed starting/cloning. You can put the light right down on top of them without worry of burning them. Use this for the first couple of weeks before moving to the MH.

lovin it
01-22-2007, 05:56 PM
what size and what wattage would you suggest for that double light fluorescent fixture ?

sHArK
03-12-2007, 10:05 AM
what size and what wattage would you suggest for that double light fluorescent fixture ?

I use a 65w compact fluorescent from American Lighting and it works like a dream. Though my plants are now large enough in my main growing system to require the lights (600w) be higher, I could put them directly in there I suppose.??
I run Aeroponic

lovin it
03-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks sHArK {and you as well David}

I found a 6' fixture in the garage with 4- 36" 30 watts fluorescent tubes. So far its leaning side ways in the closet (floor to wall), its kind of big, but it's working. What im thinkig is that it is putting out 30 watts, not the sum of all 4 (120 watts) ?

lovin it