PDA

View Full Version : Your Meter Opinions greatly appreciated

Steve F
12-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm a newbie to hydroponics and am looking at buying PH and TDS/EC meter. I notice that there are a few TDS/EC meters (Truncheon, EC Dipstick) that do not need calibrating with solutions, storage solutions, etc.

Is anyone using any of these and are they OK or should I be looking into something like a Hanna?

Also, are the combo meters OK or is it best to stay with separate PH, TDS.

Any brand suggestions would also be appreciated. I have five separate tanks so a portable would be needed.

Thanks in advance for helping out!
Steve

FishHead
01-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Steve,

I use a Hanna Combo meter to measure ppm and pH. I have had good success with these meters, however, they do require infrequent calibration (which is not difficult) to maintain maximum accuracy. The main drawback is that you have to spend a little more money to get the appropriate calibration and storage solution. These meters, in my opinion, are great meters; they are water proof, easy to use, accurate, and very portable.

I have also used Oakaton meters also and they work well too.

I would suggest a multi parameter meter either way. Monitoring pH is important, but so is your total dissolved solids.

Good luck!

dhill
01-06-2007, 01:16 PM
This is my preferred meter - http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic=TEMCOHAP&eq=&Tp=

Unregistered
03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
i just purchased a hanna combo HI98129.I'm a little technicly retarted i guess cause i cant figure this thing out.when i turn it on it always has the (cal)on down in the left corner.should it be on or off after calibration?also i cant get it to read the temp in(f).i think they could have put a few more direct buttons on these things for the money.i stuck with it now though so i need to learn how to use it. any help would be great!!

David G.
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
We actually wrote our own instructions for our customers, as the Hanna instructions can be difficult to follow. Here is some information that should help:

Navigate to the following page:
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=TEMCOHAP&eq=&Tp=

You'll notice several PDF attachments on this page; click on the one titled: View TDS/EC Calibration Instructions.

On page 2, under "Changing the Calibration Factor for Hanna Meters (HI98311 and HI98129)" you will find instructions on how to change from C to F.

Don't worry about the cal always showing up; this is normal.

Hope this helps.