PDA

View Full Version : Can Humidity be Too Low?

FishHead
01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks for your insight! Understanding that 50-70% humidity range is optimal for vegetative growing, is it possible that a humidity range of 35-45% is detrimental to veg'ing plants? ... or would this simply translate into the plants increasing transpiration and water uptake? Is this a problem in top feed hydroponic systems where water is readily supplied?

Thanks for your insight!

hexar
01-04-2007, 03:37 AM
i doubt you have a problem there... firstly, the convention is 40-60% i believe on the lower side for the last several weeks of fruiting/flowering to prevent mold. Also 35% may be below this, but only marginally and the precision of your measurement device i bet would suggest you are basically where you want to be, possibly fluctuating a below somtimes... the important thing is how are your plants doing? if you are having some prob this is not the first thing i would think of. that being said, humidity and moisture are crucial and the fact that there's a big ass thing of water below your plants doesn't mean shit when you consider things like nutrient lockout, root health on the zone that works with the part of the veg mass where you are seeing problems, etc.... good luck, observe, ask questions, learn, and enjoy the green...

dhill
01-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Hexar, I agree!!

FishHead
01-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I was more concerned about the low humidity range resulting in negative growth effects. However, it doesn't appear that that should be a major concern.

Does anyone have easy and effective humidifying solutions, aside from another piece of equipment to the arsenal? I'm currently placing a steel bowl on a heat source but this doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Thanks

dhill
01-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Only look at increasing your humidity if it starts to fall below 30%. Many gardens in the desert areas operate just fine in the low 30's and some even less than that.

If you would like to increase the humidity then you should use a humidifier, you can purchase them at Target, Wal-mart etc.