PDA

View Full Version : A newbie to the world of HID

Youngneg
01-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Hello
I`m looking to purchase a system for a area of about 5x5 in a larger room.I`m looking to grow or start some veggies also grow tropical plants.The system i`m interested in is a 400 watt ssvi switchable ballast with a super sun 2 reflector.Can anyone give me some advice on this equipment or tell me where i can get some product or consumer reviews......How much heat will this system put out..enought to change the temp in the room (20 x 10)..and is it absolutly necessary to cool this reflector down.

Thanks for your time

FishHead
01-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Won't raise the 'larger rooms' temperature significantly (maybe a degree or two), but it could increase the temperature in your growing space much more, depending on your air flow/exchange within the room.

Either way, the temperature increase from a 400 watt light shouldn't be a problem.

dhill
01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
The temperature increase from a 400w will be slight (3.5 btu per watt), however, if the 5x5 area is a sealed area within the larger room then you will need to provide adequate ventilation. You may need an extra 400w lighting system to cover your 5x5 area, one 400w light will provide only a little light for your plants.

Youngneg
01-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I appreciate your response ....my only other question is should i go with the ss6 ballast or try the galaxy digital one.I like the fact that they both can go betweem 110 and 220 volts and both run MH and HPS bulbs. I`m not shore what i need to do if i go with the galaxy.The ss6 comes with everything i need i can`t find any info on the galaxy