PDA

View Full Version : Excellofizz CO2 Kit question

Alx0
01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Simple question, can this type of CO2 enrichment be used safetly in the hydrohut mini?

FishHead
01-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Sure it's safe, provided that you follow application instructions (keep it contained in the room during Co2 usage and vent out following application). Hopefully you are venting the 'spent' Co2 air outside ... not into your bedroom or somewhere you inhabit (that could be unsafe).

One other thing to keep in mind ... Co2 is more dense that oxygen, and therefore will sink to the floor of your grow space. You need to circulate this air throughout your grow space while increasing your atmospheric Co2 levels. ALSO, if you aerate a reservoir (depending on the type of system you are using) you don't want your air pump on the floor of your grow room; it will be pumping Co2 rich air into your reservoir -the opposite to what you want in your reservoir (you would basically be deoxygenating the water in your res.!).

Hope this helps ... a little

Unregistered
01-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Well I have a dayton 265 exhaust fan in there that's going consistantly...however it's not connected to an outside window or anything like that, but with a little elbow grease and some ducting tubes it could be done.

My grow room is in my basement, and I do inhabit this area. Do you think it'd be safe if say I put it on during the night, or when I'm not in that area? Also...obviously my heating is down here, would it be hazardous assuming that?

Alx0
01-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Well I do have a daton exhaust fan blowing constantly - unfortunately it's not connected to a window. And I do have the air pumps on the bottom of the floor in my rubbermaid. So I guess this might not be the best idea ever for my situation.

Is CO2 enrichment really all that important/beneficial? I keep reading how great it is, but I don't want to knock myself out with it either. :(

FishHead
01-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Co2 is not a necessity in your garden.

If you are relatively new to indoor growing, I would recommend not using Co2 augmentation such as the excellofizz. Start with producing a few crops, learn the in's and out's of your system and get comfortable with your plants. Then, if you feel like 'stepping it up' a little, then consider using Co2.

Co2 can be a great thing indeed ... if time is something you are concerned about. As far as increasing yield, I'd just stick to the basics; Co2 will just complicate matters (plants will need more light, more nuts, and more attention due to increased growth rates). Also, you don't have to worry about modifying your garden or potential safety risks (which aren't that big of a deal if done properly).

Just my 2 cents

Unregistered
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Okay well you want to increase your yeild... and you obviously haven't read through this forum yet... here are some important things to know.

You are trying to obtain 1500-1600ppm co2 concentration on the air around your plants. Remember that fans and air circulation is mostly for the sake of cooling, temp mod, and humidity control.

Remember you will probably pass out and die if the co2 goes above 2500-3000ppm. Displace enough of the oxygen in your environment and you wont need to worry about your plants living, you'll need to worry about you living.

co2 IS heavier than oxygen but not that much heavier... if you could see it, you would realize that just walking through the room will mix the air.

I realized this a few years ago and figured if an aquarium could hold water... it could hold heavy gases... low and behold I had this stoned flash of genius.

Consider this... if your plants are in a contained area, potted or in a hydro unit... build a reflective wall that is air tight at plant level. I use an aquarium. Okay so you are basically going to wall in your plants, make sure your co2 is coming in from on top and you can managed to having a higher concentration on your plants without filling a huge space. Your plants need breathe so you aren't going to seal them in glass (leave the top open) and remember the high concentrations of co2 are only useful while the lights are on. Also if you are using an aquarium pump for your hydro system to oxygenate... make sure it is OUTSIDE of your co2 reserve area. If you have tall plants

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=42

Make your own cage $1 sq ft plain glass.