PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, 1st post about Hydroponics

Mordido
01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Want to grow hydroponically. Never have done it. Figure I'll grow one or two tomatoe plants and see how that goes. If all goes well. I'll expand. Can anyone direct me to a complete/self-contained hydroponic Beginners Kit that would contain everything needed, i.e. lights, watering sytem, nutrietion, etc, even a grow closet. This way I can learn some of the basics of hydroponics and if all goes well, as stated above, then I'll move on to other plants or vegetables, mainly during the winter months. In advance, thanks.

Unregistered
01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
the bloombox rocks

David G.
01-21-2007, 10:02 PM
There are so many options to choose from, it makes it very difficult to offer prepackaged systems that include the light, growing chamber, system, etc. without limiting the customers choices.

If you only want to grow a couple of plants, I would start with the Hydrohut Mini. Add the 400W HPS light of your choice (or a 2' 8-bulb T-5 system if your plants will be short), a Dayton 265 blower or (better yet) a Vortex or Eco Plus 4" blower, an Elf or DFS2 carbon filter (optional), a pair of grow yoyo's to hang your light, a timer for the light, a pH kit for the hydro system, some ducting to attach the filter to the fan and the fan to the exhaust port in the Hydrohut, the hydro system of your choice (a couple of bucket systems, like the Waterfarm, would work well for just 2 plants), and the nutrients and enhancers of your choice.

We've had numerous inquiries like yours about a startup kit containing everything necessary to grow plants from start to finish, so I think we'll definitely have to offer some packages in the near future, but hopefully what I listed above will get you started. Explore the different lighting systems, blowers, hydro systems, etc. on our website and then if you have more specific questions to help you make your final decisions, don't hesitate to post them here.

TheHydroponicsGarden
02-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Hi, Mordido - I must agree with David G, it is hard to find a starter kit that will suit both your current and future needs. There's nothing more frustrating than starting a new project and then realising what you bought for the last one just isn't suitable...

You really are better off buying separate componants that can be upgraded as required. The Hydrohut Mini certainly seems to be a great place to start.

If you're on a tight budget, or you're a bit of a DIY buff, you could always make your own starter kit - I recently built one for 28 (US $56) as an experiment!

Steve

Green1
03-17-2007, 10:31 AM
david...I have been meaning to put some start-up systems together @hygronomics. I will this week. I ran into a lady at the Feed and Seed yesterday, and she wants a whole set-up. I smell a new hydro service being launched.