PDA

View Full Version : terrarium cabinet conversion

db805
01-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Here's my plan: I once had a large reptile and built this cabinet for him that's about 38" wide x 24" deep x 5' high. The reptile has l;ong since passed and the cabinet has been in storage for quite some time. I am planning on setting up an ebb and flow system with a SS VII 500 watts MH/HPS light to see what I can grow. THe cabinet is framed glass on three sides with doors in the fron and already has a cutout in the top for the old flourescents that was need for the reptile. I will have to expand the opening and am planning on lining the cabinet with mylar but since i am new to this I was wondering what other problems I might run into? Such as humidity, circulation etc. and what else do you think can be done to make this cabinet work for me. I have a perfect space for it and I have the resources to make adjustments to the box. If anybody has some suggestions, or if you had this cabinet what would you do with it to make it work? THanks.

NJGardener
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Are you planning to place the light on top of the cabinet or hang it through the opening so you can adjust the veg. to light distance? How tall a plant(s) are you planning to grow? Probably the first thing I'd do is add an air intake just above floor level, maybe with a small pancake fan blowing in (I know this is against the usual wisdom of exhausing instead of "blowing", but this will also give you air movement pretty much thoughout the cabinet. Are your solution reservoirs going to be inside or outside the cabinet? If ourside, you will be able to monitor and replinsh without having to open the door. It may also help keep it cool. I'd stick a remote thermometer inside also. Later on, you might want to get fancy with a more sophisticated vent/humidistat.

db805
01-19-2007, 04:20 PM
that's a good idea with the fan. Thanks. I haven't decided yet on what to do with the light. the top is easily removed so I might start with the light on and then remove it as the plants grow. The res will be outside and easily accessible for maintenance.