PDA

View Full Version : igniting Solarmax lamps

Unregistered
01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
I've heard of people having problems igniting them with digi ballasts. I'm purchasing a hydrofarm powerhouse ballast and was wondering if I would have any trouble?

I want the Solarmax for sure, and just need to know if this ballast would work with these lamps.. ..

Thanks,

Sunlight Supply
02-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Although I can't speak for hydrofarm, they do use the same transformer that we use (Advance) and we have not experienced any issues.

Life Light
02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Hello,

The reason industry lamps fail on electronics is simply this. All lamps for our industry have always been made for 60 HZ, the cycles off the wall. Electronic ballasts take that 60 HZ and ramp it up over circuitboards and make it from 30,000 HZ to up to 130,000 HZ, depending on the ballast.

60 HZ lamps were never designed to have 30,000 + HZ flow over their components and they're burning up. Most lamps will fail prematurely or not operate at all on electronics. Life Light makes lamps for electronics that are proprietary.

I'm sure that your 60 HZ lamp will be fine with your 60HZ ballast. Though remember, a 60 HZ ballast gives you about 15 cents of maximum output out of your energy dollar. Not very Green.

Unregistered
03-20-2007, 05:46 AM
life light is a salesman for this company,Life Light Technologies Inc, they sell digital ballast and stuff so when he badmouths the old style ballasts just remember he's really trying to get you to purchase a competing product, and he not being upfront about being a salesman of a competing and more expensive product. call or email the guys bghydro store and ask them what they think will work best, you probably won't be the first person to call with that exact question.

David G.
04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
SolarMax lamps work just fine with every standard name brand HID (core & coil/magnetic) ballast we have tested them with so far. The problems occur only when used with many brands of digital ballasts. They do, however, work great with Galaxy digital ballasts.