PDA

View Full Version : High Power 8 Light Fluorescents vs. HID?

NJGardener
01-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see some good comparisons of the latest high power 8 bulb T-5 fluorescent fixtures vs. 400 watt (and perhaps 1000 watt) HIDs. I've seen one article recently that seems to indicate that these flourescent fixtures can compete head-on with HID in many (most?) applications with less energy consumptions and considerable less heat.
BHG has these listed in the "store" and the specs look pretty good.
Thinking that two of these with a 400 watt HPS between them or HPS overhead and these on the sides might be a pretty awesome system.
I know this seems to go against the "old" thinking, but the output of these bulbs seems pretty darn good now.
Would like to see a discussion of these fixtures with the standard highout put bulbs and also what difference, if any, the Vitalume bulbs make.

katythedog
01-24-2007, 11:37 AM
i would like to see some info on this too. i have 8 t5 bulbs (4 warm/4 cool) but i have nothing to compare to. it would have been impossible for me to use HID because of the high heat and I would have no way to cool the area. what i can say is that my plants are nice and tight, no stretching, they grow fast, i leave the lights about 3 inches away and have to move the lights every day a little bit. my temp in my room is anywhere between 73 with lights on and about 69 with lights off. I am going to add some side lighting as they get taller. my plants are tight & bushy . I have a couple more months to go until my cycle is complete. I will definately subscribe to this thread and keep my progess updated

NJGardener
01-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Katythedog --
Your post is helpful. Can you provide some more detail about your growing area? Open room or "grow room"? Size? Is wall reflection a factor here -- maybe not if you are that close to the lights, but you mentioned side lighting. What are you growing?
I trying to find out how good these 8 light fixtures are before I go with on (or two). I can use HID because temp. (with ventilation) will not be a problem, but I want to decide what set up I want to start with. I like the idea of being able to use T5 for most of the grow cycle and supplement with HPS (probably). Just concerned how well fluorescent work with tall plants. I may end up having a highly reflecterized room with multiple side as well as top lighting.

katythedog
01-25-2007, 11:59 AM
I have a grow room, Mini Hydro Hut. It is 39" x 39" x 6'. Walls are all white, very very reflective (blinding when you first look in it). The T5 lights also have reflective ballast. I don't have side lighting yet but once the plants get larger I will add it so the lower leaves get some light. They say the fluros don't have the depth that the HID have. I have two fixtures, 4 bulbs each this way i can raise and lower them at different heights. I'm starting off with tomato plants to see how that works, so far so good. I can't answer the height question yet because they are not that tall to be able to tell if the lower branches will get the light that they need. So far i think they are working good but I will keep updating.