PDA

View Full Version : First hydro set up. Will aquarium filter work?

EricO
02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Hello, I'm wanting to set up a hydroponic growing chamber and I'm trying to do it without spending a lot of money. I have an opaque tub and I'm wondering if I can get oxygen and nutrients to the roots by using an aquarium filter. I have a Top Fin aquarium filter (the kind that sucks up water from the bottom and overlfows into the tank). Will this work? I'm thinking that a lot of water will flow through the roots.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

safwat
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
This sounds good by having a submersing pump in the growing tank will give enough oxygen to the roots to breath. The best way is to have a styrofome sheet has openings allow placing the plants in small perforated baskets through these holes and only about one third the bottom of the baskets are covered with nutrients in the tank. Make sure to adjust the pH and EC to plants requirements. Change the nutes every 7-10 days and provide enough light, and ventilation. Good luck

EricO
02-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks so much for the help. I'm going to give it a shot.

Green1
03-17-2007, 10:40 AM
If that doesn't provide enough oxygen. buy a dual aquarium airpump, black airlines(1/4" irrigation tubing works) to airstones...lots'o'bubbles