PDA

View Full Version : heat problem

bgreen
02-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or info, I have a hydrohut mini,400 watt hid(with metal halide currently),and a dayton 265cfm blower.The light is at 44 inches above my "tomatoes" and my temp is ok for now, but if i lower the light to be 18 inches above the plants like its supposed to be the temp skyrockets to 94 degrees, thats where my problem is, is the light too high at 44 inches?? will the plants stretch or will they be ok?by the way the plants are only 3 weeks old,they look good and arent too lanky.Ive had it at 44 inches since germination. I run the exhaust blower 24/7.anything I can do to lower the heat,so i can lower the light to the right height?this is my first grow and just want it to be the best i can make it.Oh yeah I have a batwing refelctor and the light isnt cooled by the fan,Im aware that cooling the light will lower the temp in the mini.

David G.
02-25-2007, 12:26 PM
44" for a 400W system is very far; most growers are keeping the light less than 24" away from plant tops to prevent stretching and to increase growth rates and yield. The plants may look ok now, but unless you are lucky to be growing a variety that doesn't need intense sunlight you will probably start experiencing elongated nodes shortly.

Really, your best chance of reducing the temperature is to switch to a reflector that can be air cooled and attach a duct from the reflector to the existing exhaust fan. I know you probably don't want to replace your reflector, but if you're serious about producing a successful crop the benefits will outweigh the expense in the long run.

Another thing you can try to do is pull air from a cooler source. If the air coming in through the intake port is 80 degrees, the grow room will always be hotter than 80.

Unregistered
10-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I have the mini too and just placed A sealed light in it today. I went from an temperature differance from a ten degree differance between outside and inside the hut to a 4 to 5 degree differance. That is with a 400 watt bulb at 30 inches. So if the room is 70 the grow room is 75.