PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Generators - Green Air CD 3

FishHead
02-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I have a question regarding CO2 generators:

With the understanding that CO2 generators burn fuel (i.e. propane or natural gas) to generate CO2, do the generators also produce a significant amount of heat in your grow room?

Any advice/info is appreciated. I know this seems like a stupid question (burn=heat), but I'd be interested in your experience.

Thanks

David G.
02-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Yes, generators do produce heat when they are running, which is one of the reasons it is important to size the generator so that it isn't on for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. The most efficient generators don't use pilot lights, so they burn less fuel and produce slightly less heat since there isn't a small flame burning constantly.

Some can be air-cooled, but since they must use a heat exchanger (basically a thin metal sheet that allows some heat to pass but not the CO2 gas) they only eliminate a small amount of the heat.

David G.
02-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Yes, generators produce heat while they are running, which is one of the reasons it is important to size the generator correctly so that it doesn't run for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. The most efficient generators use a pilotless ignition system which helps reduce heat, since they don't have a small flame running 24/7.

Some generators can be air-cooled, but since they use a braised plate heat exchanger (a thin piece of metal that allows some heat to pass but not the CO2 gas) then can only eliminate a small amount of the heat produced.

Depending on the size of the room and the ambient temperature where you grow (hot areas like Arizona and Southern California especially), you may find that using a generator produces enough heat to make using an air conditioner necessary.

Raul Pey
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I have a very small area (8x6) and I just leave the Green Air pilot light on without actually ever igniting the main burner. The pilot alone seems to provide a nice constant CO2 supply in my small area, but does not seem to heat up the room excessively.