PDA

View Full Version : T5s vs. T12s

Pseudonym
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi, this is my very first time growing and I have a question about lighting. All over the internet I read the praises of T5 lighting. This site even says that the New Wave T5 lighting system is by far the best for growing plants. My question is what is the real difference between T5 fluorescent tubes and T12 fluorescent tubes. The reason I ask is because it would be much cheaper for me (about $60-$70 cheaper) to use a T12 lighting system. I've been around to places like Lowe's, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart and I can't even find T5s; they all sell T8s and T12s. And as far as I can tell there's not much difference in K temp., lumens, and CRI. Obviously I would like to set up the least expensive system I can, but I don't want to compromise on the quality of lighting.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Unregistered
03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
The difference lies in tube diameter and light output. the T designation is an indication of the diameter of the tube. In addition to this, the T5 is considered a high-output fluorescent. A typical T5 tube will produce 5000 lumens; most T12 tubes are less than half of this.

With T5's plants can be grown to maturity. Most plants (except low-light varieties) can only be propagated under a T-12.

Remember, in most instances you get what you pay for. Hope this helps.