PDA

View Full Version : On basement grow rooms... need input

Terry in OH
05-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello all,
I am considering utilizing an unused corner of my basement for conversion to a grow room over the winter. I have ample garden outdoors, but I want to utilize this unused space and possibly get as much as 2 4x8 sheets of plywood worth of growroom space in the basement.

The area is completely unfinished, save for having a concrete floor :) A previous owner of my home added a heat duct in the area, although I have it closed off at the moment. It is in a corner of the basement with a simple single-pane window above an existing workbench; the bench will be discarded.

Overall the area is approximately 12x12 although I dont necessarily wish to utilize all of that space. What I would like to know, specifically, are a few key things:

1) Can I keep the ceiling as is, with open floor joists?
2) Do I need to actually enclose the area, or can I leave it open to the remainder of the basement?

And I know this is *quite* the open-ended question, but 3) how much of what sort of light would be appropriate for each 4x8 table?

I recently picked up a 400 watt Hydrofarm MH lamp from a lady who used to grow flowers with it previously, but has no room in her new condo -I'm the plumber and happened to be there when she was talking to someone else about unloading her stock of hydroponic supplies. I currently have it babysitting my seedlings I picked up from the greenhouse, waiting for the weather to get out of the 40's so I can get everything in the ground, but it's only temporarily hanging in the garage. I would love to see some use out of it over the winter, and since I have developed a fetish for salsa I want to be able to produce the good stuff year round. Tomatoes, peppers, onions and herbs primarily for winter, not too much else.

How much of an investment will I need to make in order to utilize that corner of the basement? Can I do it fairly cheaply or is it going to be worthy of taking out an equity loan for home improvements?

Thoughts, ideas, and criticism all welcomed :D