PDA

View Full Version : plant wilt

Unregistered
07-07-2007, 11:42 AM
My 2 tomato plants are outsiide in non curculating deep wells (5 gal buckets). They have been doing well since they were germinated from seed in feb. Both plants are fuiting out with about 16 tomatoes so far. Suddenly they begain to wilt. I just gave them fresh batch of nutrient and noticed a lot of algie. Could that be it. I store my nutrient outside and it can get hot. is that it? I just dont know. This is my first attempt.

MisterMiyagi
07-19-2007, 12:42 AM
First, I would try to lower the nute solution as this is a major culprit especially if over 80 degrees. Second, if the nutes are not circulating you may be experiencing some root rot. Try to add airstones and/or some type of nute circulation (small pump works great) to the res.

Algae won't directly kill the plants but it's messy and slimy and degrades the overall experience in my opinion. Algae is a result of light getting to the nutrient tank. If this is indeed the case, you may need to insulate the nute tank from outside light and also lower your temps below 75 degrees (the colder the better for the root zone, all the way down to about 60 degrees works great.)