PDA

View Full Version : new to the forum...with questions

yohann976
07-15-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll start off first by saying that I am relatively new to hydroponics. A few years ago, I started growing tropical plants in my fish tank. Basically, the setup is a half full tank, with a series of waterfalls, and "pockets" where plants can grow. Anyways, I have two species of vines that grow in the tank in soil, Ficus pumila and pothos. I experienced phenomenal growth when the vines would grow roots in the fish water. They grew 2.5 times faster than the plants that grew only in horticulture.

Now I'm attempting hydroponics outside of my fish tank, but I am not getting near the same results. I am attempting to grow Ficus benjamina and pothos through passive hydroponics. The medium is croton rocks and the nutrient solution is Flora Nova by General Hydroponics. I'm running the solution at about 1800 ppm and my water is hard, very hard. I flush the system every week also.

The problem with my Ficus is that it is not growing that fast at all. All the leaves seem to be fine, even the old growth. As for the pothos vine, it is growing at a decent rate (not as fast as the vines in the fish tank though), but it's older leaves are yellowing at an alarming rate. Plus, some of the leaves seem to have 'burns' on them.

What should I do to improve my situation? Should I add an air stone for water circulation? If you have any questions for me to aid in your advice, don't hesitate to ask.

MisterMiyagi
07-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Generally speaking you shouldn't follow the recommended feeding levels on the GH labels as they are very high typically. I start at about half the recommended levels and work up from there. 1800ppms sound very high and is probably why your bottom leaves are yellowing.

Adding air to the res is almost always a good idea. Also, check to make sure your nute temps are below 80 degrees with 60-75 degrees being optimum for disolved oxygen levels (fast growth at higher levels and colder res temps).