PDA

View Full Version : Light 'flicker' with Lumatek ballast

Unregistered
09-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Just got my (2) Lumatek ballasts all hooked up, but when I turned them on both of them have a slight, but definitely perceptible flicker to them. I obviously can't stare at the bulb, but if I shine them on a wall there is a definite frequency to the light output. Now, I don't remember my magnetic ballast doing this, so I was wondering if this was a characteristic to digital ballasts, or do I have a noisy electrical supply? Will this condition hurt the ballast or the bulb over time? Thanks!!!

Unregistered
10-02-2007, 04:53 PM
High,

I noticed the same thing, I used to use 3 1000W Sun System ballasts, never a flicker like the 400W Lumatek I fired up. Within 15 minutes the light went out.

Store said bad bulb, but I switched to an Agrosun 400W and got the same very noticeable flicker.

Any help? I mailed Lumatek and am waiting for a response.

Unregistered
12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
I have a brand new purple Lumatek 400w and I have the same problem. I tried with 3 type of bulbs, philips alto ceramalux hps, philips son agro and sylvania ecolux 400W. I can hear a resonnance from the bulbs when I turn on the ballast.

willard3
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Until electrical supply comes at much higher frequencies, you will see flicker from 60 cycle electricity.

The Europeans use 50 cycles.....same problem.

dnaylor
02-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I have the same ballast running an MH bulb.

Horizontal I get the flicker.

Vertical I don't.

I have yet to try different orientations in the horizontal, I need a new socket to try it out.