PDA

View Full Version : how to properly use my aroflo 20 ?

Unregistered
11-11-2007, 07:32 AM
hello i have an aro20 i would like more info on how to properly run it. for example water level, on off times if i should run it at night angle of sprayers. any help would help thank you :)

Unregistered
12-01-2007, 05:27 PM
The Aeroflo 20 is an NFT/Aeroponics/Deep Water system and is flexible in it's use. You can successfully clone in it by aiming the sprayers at a 90 degree angle so it splashes a lot on the wall and hits the bottom of the net pots. If you are transplanting starts into it you will want to start the water off high so it barely touches the bottom of the net pots. This will coax the roots down into the solution. Follow the roots down as they grow into the chamber, eventually almost all the way to the bottom, while aiming the sprayers lower and lower until they are spraying at a 45 degree angle into the solution. The idea is to start off more like an aeroponics system, which mists the root zone, then as the plants mature, morph into a deep water/NFT system, which aerates the solution that the roots are hanging in and quickly drains it out. You'll want to use a root guarding product to prevent undesirable bacteria, fungus and algae. Also, nutrient strengths are a little lower than most other systems. You'll notice that you see results of your efforts very quickly, like the same day sometimes, and growth is outrageous with around an inch a day at peak development. So you'll really need to be on the ball and check pH and PPM regularly. Most people leave it on continuously as plants can feed at night sometimes, although rare. If you want to save life on your pump, just half the amount of feedings at night and you'll be more than OK.

Unregistered
12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
thank you i appreciate the help. i check ppm/ph every day but as far as feeding i keep it on all day and off at night. should i invest in a good timer to regulate it if so what times should i run it?

Unregistered
12-04-2007, 03:43 PM
my res temp what should it be at ive herd 50-60 and also 60-70 what temp works good for you

David G.
12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Generally speaking, the water temp should be slightly lower than the air temp if possible in order to minimize root zone pathogens. The water temp should never vary more than 10 degrees Celsius from the air temp or your plants may go into shock. If your air temp is within an acceptable range then you shouldn't need to worry much about the water temp, as the water temp tends to be around the same as the ambient air temp. However, when using a system with little or no growing medium (such as the AeroFlo), you have to make sure that the water temp doesn't get too high, as bacteria in the root zone will thrive under warm conditions and roots in a system with no medium are already highly susceptible to root rot. So, if your temps start getting into the 80's you may want to consider purchasing a water chiller.

ARob
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Hello David G. how would you rank the aeroflo2 as far as hydroponics systems are concerned? Also could you please walk me through the water levels of the aeroflo2 from cuttings to the end of the flowering phase? I also need to know what the ideal pH range would be, I have seen 5.5 to 6.2 referenced and was wondering what the ideal pH would be.

David G.
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
The main 2 drawbacks to the AeroFlo are the price and the plant spacing. If you are growing small plants, or you only plant every other site and can live with the fact that you paid twice the price per plant site, then the system is fine. Growth rates are pretty decent and so is the maintenance required. The main consumables you will need to replace down the road are the rocks, net pots and occasionally the spray lines (all of which are available on our website).

As far as the water levels go, it's been a long time since I personally used an AeroFlo. I would recommend sending GH tech support an email at [email protected] and they should be able to give you the most accurate answer. You can also find copies of all of their instruction manuals at http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/instructions.html.

Desired pH levels vary from plant to plant and from variety to variety, but generally speaking 5.5 - 6.3 usually covers the gamut for most varieties growing in a hydroponic system. Most growers try to stay between 5.7 - 6.1.

ARob
01-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the feed back David that's exactly what I was looking for. I plan on using every other plant site to give the plants some room to grow. I see a huge advantage to this system because of the amount of rockwool it saves over time. I have to agree that the startup cost are a little expensive but over the long term and in the right hands the Aeroflo2 is good system.