PDA

View Full Version : Pollination indoors - peppers, tomatoes, eggplants

thamnophis
06-05-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm experimenting with hydro for the first time. I have a small set-up with an eggplant, a tomato and a hot pepper. All are doing great - I am amazed at the growth and hardiness of the plants - beautiful!

But now they are flowering and I'm not sure how to pollinate them. The eggplant and tomato seem to have closed flowers that I can't get to with a small paintbrush (as some suggested for peppers).

I know there are a lot of folklore suggestions, even using a tuning fork to imitate bumblebee vibrations (!), but I'm looking for proven methods, hopefully complete with trials.

Any suggestions?

Joe

dhill
06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Joe, a proven method (this method has been used on millions of plants world wide) is to vibrate the flowers or the plant itself. In your case, for the few plants you have, it is best to just tap each flower truss. Use a pencil to do this. Best to do it early in the day as the pollen is freshest at this time. Tapping each flowerer truss will be enough to make the anthers on the stamens to release the pollen which will get caught by the stigma. Brushing pollen onto the stigma is effective especially on larger flowers, smaller flowers can get damaged by an inexperienced pollinator.

Unregistered
01-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Old post but I'll replay anyways for future readers. For tender flowers
and strawberries i use a girls make-up blush brush , there verry soft and
flexable. I just dab a flower and move on to the next transfering the pollen
then back to the one i started with.