PDA

View Full Version : New member -> ?s

rfgarber
04-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I recently purchased two 2 x 4 trays with two 20 gallon reservoirs. I am very new to the concept of using hydroponics and have questions concerning two topics.

1. The craigslist seller I purchased my supplies from also had a 1000 watt HID light w/ a Hortilux Blue bulb and ballast for sale for $150. I know this is a good deal but I was concerned because I have low ceilings and I dont want my plants to burn out after they reach a reasonable height. I also was concerned about the rise in my electricity bill. I used many different calculations online and they varied significantly but were all substantially high regardless. 1000 watts going on nearly 18 hours a day is just going to eat up too much money, but the light is such a great deal. Any suggestions on cost/energy efficient AND effective lighting??

2. What is the best growing medium?? Rockwool? etc.

Like I said I am new to hydroponics but initially I wanted to grow a variety of plants within the same trays (if this is possible). I wanted to experiment with vegs and possibly some fruiting/flowering plants if this is possible in the same tray (w/ same % nutrients etc) and under the same lighting.

Thanks for the help and expertise!!

furcifer
07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Well first off, tell us what type of a hydroponic system you are using.
There are many types out there:

Wick System
Water Culture
EBB and Flow
Drip System
N.F.T. (Nutrient Film Technique)
Aeroponic.

As far as your lights.....

Since you asked the question if you could grow and flower within the same tray, I highly suggest you do a lot of research before you attempt to grow anything hydroponically. There are a lot of things that you have to take into account. Have you bought any meters yet? If so, does it measure PH and PPM (TDS)? What nutrients do you plan on using, Organic? Where is the system going to be located, garage, family room?

rtslush
07-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Who cares how you are growing whatever you are growing? Yes is the answer too most of the questions you asked. You will be able to use the same nutrient for almost all of the plants you find in any retail garden center. As for meat eating orchids or something to that avail you might run into some probs. Just as far as distance from the plants you will need at least two feet of space from the top of the plants to the light surface. if it is air cooled with an inline fan then you might be able to decrease that distance. As for the best grow media I would recommend coco coir and perlite or a complete mix like light warrior or ready gro. Botanicare makes great beginner products that are easy to get used too. As far as energy consumption a 1000 watt running at 18 hrs should only cost at the most(26cents per kwh)154 a month. At the least (4cents a kwh) 23 a month.Rockwool is the worst nightmare on the planet its the only non reuseable medium it has unstable pH and all kinds of other probs I wont get into. Definetly no for the beginner. As long as everything is on the same photocycle then you are fine just dont toss plants that need twelve hours of dark in there (unless they are all short day flowering plants. Hope that helped alittle.