PDA

View Full Version : - DarkRoom 80 - Looks good but not 100% light-proof

canadian
04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
I received my Secret Jardin DarkRoom 80 and set it up today.
Getting it assembled was very easy and didn't take long at all.
It looks good from both inside and out, and the reflective interior is a good idea.

Something that I didn't like so much was the "plain" packaging that said "Secret Jardin DarkRoom 80" on both sides. That could of been a little more "plain" instead of shouting what was inside to my local courier.

I set up a light inside and closed all windows, ports and vents. With the light on, I could see numerous pin holes of light around some seems, exhaust holes and most noticeable the zipper, lots of light in places.:confused: It seems like a double overlapping zipper set-up would be able to fix this problem but as for the other pin holes I don't know.

For some reason I thought these were from France but its actually made in the P.R.C. (People's Republic of China) and honestly smells like it. I wiped everything down, but it still smells like the toy department of a Wal-Mart.

I want to really like this product but without being 100% light proof, it makes me have to reconsider getting the DR 120 and a bit concerned about this statement..." New and improved with heavy duty zippers and double stitching 100% light-proof!"...

David G.
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
The Dark Room's have been improved and are now 100% light proof, but we still had some stock left over from previous shipments; mainly DR80's. We've only had a few complaints about the DR's not being light proof, and in every case the customer has said that it wss only pinholes, and we found that it wasn't enough to affect the photoperiod of the plants.

However, if you just recently purchased this tent and are experiencing this problem, please send an email to [email protected] and we'll get you taken care of.

Secret Jardin is located in France, but they moved their factory out to China in order to compete with the other tent companies. The difference between SJ and the other China factories, however, is that the principals actually moved their residence out to China to build and run the factory. They have the same quality controls in place as they would if they were being built in France, but they are able to keep the cost down to compete with the Chinese tents.

As for the smell, I've setup close to 100 of these tents myself and I never really noticed the smell. Anything made from cloth, metal and plastic components is going to have some kind of detectible smell to it, but it's not the same smell as you will find with the tents that are plastic-lined; those tents have a strong smell and it's a different kind of smell. This is actually the first time I have heard anyone mention the smell, and there are now thousands of Dark Rooms in use in the U.S.

So again, please contact us and we'll see if we can get you out one of the newer skins with the improved light proof zipper and double stitching.